Talk

Advanced search

3d scans?

(9 Posts)
bubbles2904 Tue 28-Jun-05 13:33:15

hi everyone, i have a 3d scan booked for 2 weeks time when i'll be just over 32 weeks, i have spoken to a mw at work today who says that because you spend 1 hour with the scanner on, that the radiation will be harmful to baby. do you have a opinion on this? good or bad, i need to know peoples views. have you had one and regretted it? thank you in advance

novadandypowder Tue 28-Jun-05 17:38:14

I've not heard that one - as far as I know they have yet to prove any cases of ultrasound harming the baby. I'm intending to go for a 3D/4D scan myself in 7 wks time when i'll be 28wks pg. If it was harmful for the baby i'm sure they wouldn't be able to let all these clinics offer it, or you'd have to sign a disclaimer. I'm having my baby at the portland and they offer it there with a discount if you're delivering there so they obviously don't have an issue with it.

My friend is having a problem pregnancy and has to have detailed regular scans every other week and there's no mention of harm being done to her baby.

I just say - enjoy it, and treasure the DVD you'll get at the end of it

good luck xx

puska Tue 28-Jun-05 17:50:16

oooh this is such a tricky one..... my mil is a radiographer and when i was offered extra scans she advised against it - purely on the basis that why subject the baby to un-neccesary radiation....
after my ds was born we were asked to take part in a research project to do with bone density, again she advised us against it on the basis it was medically un-necessary and she was sure over his life time he would have plenty of exposure to radiation in terms of broken bones over his childhood etc!!
sorry i dont mean to sound like a sour puss

tex111 Tue 28-Jun-05 18:01:19

We have a 3D scan booked for next month. Our neighbor is a radiographer and I spoke to her about it. She said it was fine and a great way to bond with baby. Said that she plans to have one when the time comes too.

happymerryberries Tue 28-Jun-05 18:08:51

It isn't 'radiation' in the way that most people think of the word. It isn't like an X ray. It is ultrasound.

tex111 Tue 28-Jun-05 18:12:53

Oh, wanted to add - I did have an ultrasound in the US at a place that does 3D (I just had a regular 2D so DH could see baby, long story). Anyway, you had to have doctor's approval for the 3D ultrasounds and they only allowed you to have up to four of them. Four! So perhaps with extended use there could be some 'danger' but if they'll let you have four of them in the US where they would be sued in a heartbeat if it caused any problems, than I'm sure that one 3D ultrasound isn't going to make any difference.

bubbles2904 Tue 28-Jun-05 19:35:28

hi everyone and thanks for all your views. puska, you're not a sour puss at all, i wanted all views not just the good ones and i appreciate your honesty. i really am in two minds on this one, i think that when new technology comes out that there will always be a conflict in opinions, and i'm sure in a few years time that this will be offered instead of ultrasounds we have today and will be free of charge. i still want to have it done but dp has totally changed his mind and trying to change mine, one of my mws main problems was that the guy in the clinic has told many women that there has been a problem and reffered them to her, for her to do a full check up and find that all is well. just panicing women when totally un-neccesary. sorry if i've gone on

Redhelen Tue 28-Jun-05 19:43:16

Hello!

I understand some research concluded a while ago that to many ultrasound meant baby could be on the small side. Recent reseach from Australia proves this to be wrong! I think that every one in the medical proffesion likes to air on the side of causion - thats why we all panic too!

I say go and enjoy it!

bubbles2904 Tue 28-Jun-05 20:03:12

thanks helen, when are you due, i'm sure you're in sept thread which is mine too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now