Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

trans atlantic flight during middle of 2nd trimester?

(13 Posts)
bebejam Tue 28-Jun-05 13:00:13

My husband and I are considering flying to New York City towards the end of July (when I will be between 23/24 weeks pregnant).

Has anyone on MN flown transatlantic at 6 mo. pregnant? Do you think it is a good idea? I keep getting conflicting advice.

thanks one and all for your input!

Azure Tue 28-Jun-05 13:20:54

I went to South Africa when I was around the same number of weeks pregnant. I was absolutely fine - made sure I wriggled my feet around a lot and drank plenty of water. I have to confess that we used airmiles to go business class, though, which made the experience very bearable. If you go definitely request a bulkhead seat, as a bit more space makes a huge difference to your comfort. If you go, have a great time - especially if it's your last trip before children.

elasticated Tue 28-Jun-05 13:41:41

Hi, I flew London-Tampa when I was 21/22 weeks pregnant and was fine. I used flight socks, requested an aisle seat (I don't think they let you have the exit seats because you're deemed to be less mobile in an emergency but the bulk head seats would be good if you can get them) and drank loads of water. Aisle seat means you don't feel bad about getting up and moving around as much as you want. Take some snacks in case you don't fancy the plane food. My midwife said there were no particular risks of flying when pregnant, just a slightly increased risk of DVT because you're bigger hence socks, water and moving around! Hope you have a lovely time.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 28-Jun-05 13:45:20

That's the perfect time to fly in pregnancy. Flying in the first trimester is a bit risky for miscarriage (I'm twitchy as I've had a few miscarriages), and anyway, the nausea doesn't help. And in the last trimester, it would have been uncomfortable.

I've flown to Canada in the 2nd trimester with both pregnancies. Take food and water, and you'll be fine.

CountessDracula Tue 28-Jun-05 13:54:43

Yes I flew to NY and then to Ibiza when 6.5 and 7 months. No problems.

starlover Tue 28-Jun-05 14:02:07

2nd trimester is the safest time to fly! go for it

bundle Tue 28-Jun-05 14:03:51

NYC should be fine, i flew around 27 weeks to San Francisco and in hindsight it was a bit far and felt weird when i got there (overtired i think) so had to rest a lot and phoned midwife (took notes with me) for reassurance.

fisil Tue 28-Jun-05 14:07:23

I flew to Malasia and NZ when I was 18 - 21 weeks. Not a problem. As people have said, take your own snacks and water and walk around a lot. You have to decide whether to tell the airline or not (assuming it is not obvious, and it generally isn't at that stage, even if it seem obvious to you, strangers just won't notice.) Pros of telling: you may get a good seat/special help. Pros of not telling: you don't have the risk of them demanding a letter from your GP/insurer etc. I had a letter from my GP just in case, but in the end I never actually told any airline that I was pg.

mogwai Tue 28-Jun-05 14:14:25

I flew to Europe at 26 weeks. Did you know that you can board first, with the disabled travellers, if you are pg?

It was great.

Chuffed Tue 28-Jun-05 14:48:41

I flew to NY at about 26wks. I got a note from my GP just in case they asked and when checking in said I had a note saying I was safe to fly and got upgraded on the way over.
Get medical insurance - very important if you do have to go to the hospital over there if you feel something isn't right...I got dehydrated and got an 'irritated uterus' because of it which basically meant I started getting contractions. This got sorted out in the hospital in a couple of hours but medical insurance helped. So second the advice about drinking lots of water. I'll be flying to NZ at 18wks this time around - it'll be fine.

dyzzidi Tue 28-Jun-05 15:14:08

I am going to be flying to las vegas when I am 24 wks. My Consultant said this would be fine just take the normal precautions as in flight socks drink lots etc.

kbaby Tue 28-Jun-05 21:18:16

Hi,
I went to new york when I was 21 weeks preg. It was fine I just walked around a lot and wore support stockings. Just wear comfy shoes because your feet may swell.

hermykne Tue 28-Jun-05 21:33:57

bebejam i hate to be the only one so far to say be careful. my cousin flew in her 1st pregnancy, twice, longhaul, and it didnt contribute directly to the loss of the baby at 39wks, but it is a factor that hangs over her.
maybe 23/24 wks is an ok time to fly, please have your doc/consultants opinion.
i dont want to spoil your trip but i get anxious when i hear people deciding to go longhaul whilst pregnant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now