Talk

Advanced search

itchy tummy seeks help

(10 Posts)
mogwai Mon 27-Jun-05 09:56:08

I'm 40+4

Since my due date, I have been suffering from an itchy tummy. I'm using Eurax HC but becasue of the hydrocortisone I can only use it for 7 days.

It's agony. Can anyone recommend anything? I'm also using babyoil. Would calamine help??

Marina Mon 27-Jun-05 10:01:17

mogwai, I am sure you already know about this, but itching can also suggest a condition called obstetric cholestasis (sp?) might be developing. Have you mentioned the itching to your midwife, just to be on the safe side.
I think piriton tablets are safe in pregnancy, but do also check that.

mogwai Mon 27-Jun-05 10:07:52

thanks Marina

I do know about it, but will google it as well. The itching is confined to my tummy, so I think it is probably stretched skin. Have appointment at hospital tomorrow and will mention it to them

starlover Mon 27-Jun-05 10:12:49

hi mogwai. now as a passive lady you probably won't want a trip out to the shops... but i can highly recommend Boots glycerin and calomine cream.

i had THE itchiest bump in the history of the world, i scratched it to much it bled! but the cream did bring some welcome relief.

e45 do an itch relief cream too, which was nice as well, but i think the glycerin and calomine was a bit more effective

WigWamBam Mon 27-Jun-05 10:13:47

Aloe vera gel helped me with mine, although nothing took the pain away completely.

edodgy Mon 27-Jun-05 10:15:27

the only thing that helped with mine was Zirtek tablets they are a type of antihystemine i noticed they are selling them over the counter in tesco now (i got mine on perscription).

mogwai Mon 27-Jun-05 11:01:06

Thanks for your responses

Well spotted starlover - I wonder whether Tesco would deliver?

starlover Mon 27-Jun-05 11:02:13

i'm sure they will.... if you order enough. if your bump is as big as mine was believe me, you'll need several thousand tubes of the stuff!

ediemay Mon 27-Jun-05 11:08:47

hi mogwai, I had this too and calendula cream really helped - you can get it from Boots or Culpeper. Boots sell the nelsons one. It's marigold extract so safe in pregnancy. Hope you have your little one soon.

mogwai Mon 27-Jun-05 11:44:23

going to Boots this afternoon to have a look, thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now