Talk

Advanced search

calling all dieticians / nutritionists re. Omega 3 oils

(6 Posts)
lyra41 Mon 27-Jun-05 08:14:12

What is a safe dose of fatty acids to take during pregnancy? I don't eat much oily fish.

Lexie100 Tue 28-Jun-05 10:41:39

i was told not to take cod liver oil but as for amount of fish oils i can't help you.

SoupDragon Tue 28-Jun-05 10:44:26

It's something to do with the vitamin A content of cod liver oil I think - too high.

goldenoldie Tue 28-Jun-05 11:05:17

But is the Omega 3 in the new M&S milk OK?

bebejam Tue 28-Jun-05 12:52:54

It is only the Omega 3&6 oils that come from fish liver that have the concern for high levels of vitamin A. As I understand there are other sources of fatty acids other than fish liver.

lyra, Boots does a pre-natal vitamin that has been specifically crafted for pregnancy that contains Omega fatty acids, but no vit. A. They are the 'mum to be', and they are easy to swallow. I've been taking them as I haven't been in the mood for fish so much lately.

They also have lots of b vitamins which are great for pregnancy.

squandersix Wed 29-Jun-05 14:36:46

I am in early pregnancy and after blood tests was told I'm deficient in EFAs. The nurse told me to take two tablespoons of milled flaxseed with my cereal or yoghurt or whatever. They also help with the constipation . You can get them in the organic section of most supermarkets. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now