Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

how early in pregnancy can a test tell you your pregnant?

(15 Posts)
missycantstop Sun 26-Jun-05 10:28:27

Im still trying to work out my due date hospital have told me 27 july or 3 august but from last period its 24 july. they say you dont fall pregnant until 2 weeks after your period. i found out i was pregnant 15 nov making me then 14 days pregnant i didnt think a test could tell b4 4 weeks. In a previous pregnancy i did have 2 periods and found i was pregnant at 6 weeks.

flamesparrow Sun 26-Jun-05 10:31:57

The 2 weeks thing is insane in my opinion... it all depends when you ovulate!!! Some women ovulate as early as day 8 or 9.

I don't suppose you have any idea when you ovulated? Sometimes there is a slight crampy feeling, and for me, I go insanely horny for a few days.

Thank could give you more of an idea.

At the end of the day though - hospitals are complete arses and will only go on the size your baby is at the scan anyway (regardless of your dates).

hester Sun 26-Jun-05 10:36:24

Day 14 is only the average day of conception in an average 28-day cycle. I have a 28 day cycle and would usually ovulate on day 9-10. Women can ovulate anywhere between around day 5 and day 19 - even later if your cycle is longer than 28 days. So unless you have been charting your fertility and when you made love, I don't think you'll be able to work out your EDD from your dates.

Why have hospital given you two different dates? they've done a dating scan, presumably?

Most preg tests say they are effective from the day your period is due, though some women get positive results before (usually 12-14 days from conception) and some don't get a result till later. The amount of HCG we produce at that time varies, and that is what the test picks up.

hth

eleanorsmum Sun 26-Jun-05 10:39:36

i knew exactly when dd was concieved as we only did it the once that month! but the hospital kept telling me it was different due to last period dates. Due date was 31 st August and she popped out on the 10th (well not popped emergency c section but she wanted to come out!). Bubbas will always appear when they want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

missycantstop Sun 26-Jun-05 10:49:20

cant say i know when i concieved as i was having sex everyday at least 3 times a day but i had a very faint positive test the day my period came - 18 oct 04 which was a week late. hospital told me to ignore that test though. is it poss that i was pregnant then and he hospital have just completely f...ked up. I even showed the doctor that test and all he said was im not saying your pregnant and im not saying your miscarrying (what an arse)

flamesparrow Sun 26-Jun-05 10:50:29

Was it a heavy period, or light?

Mama5 Sun 26-Jun-05 10:52:09

You must have been exhausted!

missycantstop Sun 26-Jun-05 11:02:14

my period was heavy and clotted but they were like that when i was last pregnant and didnt know.

flamesparrow Sun 26-Jun-05 11:03:01

As much as it kills me to say it (huge scan issues), I think you're going to have to go with whatever dates they decide with scans.

mears Sun 26-Jun-05 12:11:52

If your last period was 18 July, then your due date would be 25 July 2005. That is dependent on your period being a regular 28 day cycle. Pregnancy tests can give you a positive result even before your period is late!

If there are questions around when you bled etc. then you have to rely on scans for dating. The earlier scans are the more accurate regarding dating.

spacecadet Sun 26-Jun-05 14:21:25

mears-do you mean oct 18, not july 18th??!!!!!

mears Sun 26-Jun-05 14:58:29

oops, yes. That is what I meant.

spacecadet Sun 26-Jun-05 19:25:24

i lol at that mears, imagine being preg for a year!!!!!!!!

flamesparrow Mon 27-Jun-05 09:01:06

I had 10 month pregnancy and that was bad enough!!!

mum2one Mon 11-Jul-05 15:00:19

Any pregnancy test experts out there? If you do a pregnancy test say 3 days before your period is due and it is supposed to be 69% accurate, if it says positive, does that mean you are definitely pregnant or could it be wrong? I understand that if it couldn't detect enough hormone, it would say negative but can it give a false positive reading?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now