Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

cyclogest progestrone pessaries

(21 Posts)
stardustsmile Wed 09-Dec-09 11:14:32

Hi I'm 8wks pregnent, feeling horried MS...
Is anyone taking cyclogest pessaries (progestorone medication)? I have take it twice daily, one in the morning and one at night viginally until 12wks.

I don't mind taking it just before going to sleep on the bed, but how do you keep it inside in the morning?

A nurse tole me that I should lie down for 30 min.,after inserting it, but I can't lie there for half an hour as I have to go to work Mon-Wed and I have 2 kids to get ready to school! Do I have to wake up 30mins earlier, insert it and just lie there?? I don't sleep well as it is...

It seems coming out or leak after getting up or start walking.

I know I have to take it to keep my progestrone level. please help

Thanks a milsmile

illuminasam Wed 09-Dec-09 12:28:03

I take it as well - only at night though. On the occasion that I have forgotten the night before, I've taken it the following morning - usually in the loo at work, just before I'm going to sit at my desk for a couple of hours.

Is there any time where you sit down, even for 20 minutes? This would help.

It does leak more during the day but I figure most of it probably got through.

glastochick Wed 09-Dec-09 12:38:24

I had to do the same until 12 weeks. Your nurse is correct, you need to lie down for 15-20 minutes after inserting it before getting up.

I actually started waking up earlier as a result, just so I could sort myself out, then get up at normal time. Not the best when you're struggling with 1st trimester exhaustion too!

woowa Wed 09-Dec-09 12:53:28

I would wake myself up 45 mins earlier, put it in and try to sleep again. I don't think there is anything you can do to stop it al falling out, but by that time it's done its job so it's ok.

stardustsmile Wed 09-Dec-09 14:15:46

Hi illuminasm,
I could do it just before starting drive to get to work maybe- I drive about 45min. I will give a try next week, thanks. Glad to know it does leak!

Hi glastochick,
Thanks for your post.
I suppose I have to wake up earlier to do it in the morning. I have to get up 6am when I go to work, so it's not easy as I can't go back to sleep at the mo once I woke up a bit earlier than 6am...it is exhausting isn't it?

Hi woowa,
I will wake up earlier than usual. Job has to be done doesn't it! Thanks for your post.

Caitni Wed 09-Dec-09 14:24:51

Hi Stardustsmile

I had to take this too, but only at nighttime and only one pessary. As far as I know what's leaking is the waxy coating, not the progesterone itself, so I would try not to worry too much about it (although the leaking is annoying!).

Also, I only had to take mine until 9 weeks - I'm pregnant after IVF. This is my clinic's standard, as the embryo should be producing enough progesterone by then to support the pregnancy (some IVF clinics recommend taking progesterone only for the 2 weeks post egg collection/embryo transfer).

Otherwise the inserting it before driving seems like an excellent compromise!

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy smile

illuminasam Wed 09-Dec-09 17:49:31

Good luck stardustsmile!

I took progesterone till 9 weeks in the first tri as I had some bleeding and have also been on it since 16 weeks to help prevent premature labour - I'll stop at 34 weeks.

Basically, the leaking happens all the time, it's nothing to worry about. I only worry when the pessary actually pops out again, if you know what I mean!

aliceemma Wed 09-Dec-09 18:02:01

Are they the ones you can take via rectum or vagina? I had to take them twice a day - and though not nice took morning ones via back passage blush which did guarantee they stayed in grin.

mermaidspurse Thu 10-Dec-09 12:01:52

the word rectum had thankfully been crossed out by the chemist on my pack!
I am waking up an hour early to let mine work which has been working for me only because dh brings me tea
Girls if it works it will all be worth itsmile

Deemented Thu 10-Dec-09 13:28:19

Ah, the ould botty bombs - i remember them well! Can you guess where i had to insert them?grin

mamaamy10 Thu 20-Aug-15 15:32:07

I have just found out i am pregnant and have been prescribed the cyclogest. This is due to recurrent misscarriage. Has anyone had a success story after taking this. Xx

Frank85 Thu 20-Aug-15 19:34:44

Put them up the bum! Then you dont have to lay down and you can carry on straight away, I'm have been on them for 8 weeks :-((((( and injections also

Blackandwhitecat3 Thu 20-Aug-15 20:26:23

My vote was also for the back door option. No having to lie back down for 20 mins and no mess.

cloudjumper Thu 20-Aug-15 21:09:58

I've taken progesterone for this and my previous pregnancy, due to recurring miscarriage.
The leakage doesn't matter - what is leaking is the wax/fat, but it doesn't affect them working. However, I also always used the back passage because they can cause irritation and bleeding of the cervix, and also because there was no leakage when using the back door. It really isn't bad putting them up there grin

Frank85 Fri 21-Aug-15 10:15:06

Yes really is no mess with the back door option
Front door way to much off a faff and mess

Brummiegirl15 Fri 21-Aug-15 10:40:42

I'm another one used then for pregnancy after recurrent miscarriage and I'm now nearly 17 weeks.

I'm another voting for back door. Whilst it sounds unpleasant, it's actually not. No mess, no irritation and really easy. You don't even have to lie down afterwards.

Also going the front way can irritate the cervix and cause spotting - after everything I'd been through, spotting was something I didn't want to deal with

Siesta Fri 21-Aug-15 11:13:11

I took progestrone pessaries three times a day up to the 12 week point. I never lay down (I was at work for the middle one) I just shoved them really far up! Sometimes they leaked a bit but I figured most got through most of the time. I'm now 34 weeks pregnant.

thewebbleyjess Sat 22-Aug-15 04:00:05

I just started using panty liners every day! It wasn't super, but my worst which about them was the constipation - miserable hmm

Good luck !

Chudders2012 Tue 22-Sep-15 20:21:24

I did a lot of research in to progesterone for early miscarriages after suffering two myself. There is an outline of the Cochrane review in to the matter here:

www.myinformedlife.co.uk/does-supplemental-progesterone-prevent-early-miscarriage/

I am currently 23 weeks pregnant with my first child after showing the research to my doctor and demanding he prescribe progesterone so I believe it works. He actually told me 'my dear, you can look on the internet and you will see that progesterone doesn't make any difference!' but then I thrust the research in his face and he backed down.

Chudders2012 Tue 22-Sep-15 20:22:14

I did a lot of research in to progesterone for early miscarriages after suffering two myself. There is an outline of the Cochrane review in to the matter here:

www.myinformedlife.co.uk/does-supplemental-progesterone-prevent-early-miscarriage/

I am currently 23 weeks pregnant with my first child after showing the research to my doctor and demanding he prescribe progesterone so I believe it works. He actually told me 'my dear, you can look on the internet and you will see that progesterone doesn't make any difference!' but then I thrust the research in his face and he backed down.

patsicil Wed 24-May-17 09:07:27

Hi I have started to take cyclogest twice daily. I have inserted it today at 8:20 and at 10 to 9 I had to go to the toilette. Should I take it again?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now