Talk

Advanced search

breast feeding while pregnant?

(10 Posts)
bellbottoms Wed 22-Jun-05 23:58:43

I've a 16 mth ds, whom i' still feeding (eve/morn and once durinig th night), and I'm planning to get pregant asap - advice needed on still feeding... will it be ok? Should I make sure I give up before no.2 arrives? I'm having periods so expect I can get pregnant...

Ameriscot2005 Thu 23-Jun-05 06:45:24

Yes, it's OK. No you don't have to give up.

Your DS may give up of his own accord while you are pg.

pindy Thu 23-Jun-05 06:47:12

I bf while pg, dd gave up bf before ds was born. Maybe the milk tasted different? but it is ok to carry on.

throckenholt Thu 23-Jun-05 07:49:45

lots of people do breast feed through pregnancy, and go on to tandem feed once the new baby arrives.

However, lots of people also find the either the baby self weans (I think the milk tastes different), or they find it too muchto cope with - particularly in the early months of pregnancy.

Pretty much a case of try it and see what works for you.

Good luck for conceiving

piglit Thu 23-Jun-05 09:19:22

I got pg when b'feeding and carried on for 3 months of the pg. However, I found it far too draining being pg and bf and my gp and midwife suggested I stopped. I felt a million times better once I'd stopped and my energy levels shot up. I'd say give it a go and see how you feel.

throckenholt Thu 23-Jun-05 09:52:55

by the way - I was breastfeeding when I conceived again, but gave up when I found it was twins at 12 weeks . DS1 was only feeding once a day then anyway - he was just over 12 months.

lunachic Thu 23-Jun-05 10:02:44

i breastfed while pregnant ds was about 9 months when i got pg -bf till he was 13/14 months stopped because milk dwindled/stopped (think this was becuase one week i didnt drink enough and i couldnt get supply back up so i stopped)

sweetkitty Thu 23-Jun-05 16:49:57

I'm 11 weeks pregnant and still BFing DD whos 11 months. I am only feeding her twice a day now and plan to drop a feed every 2 weeks from now on in so by a year she is on cows milk only. I have found that since becoming pregnant my nipples hurt more when she is feeding I don't know if they are more sensitive or not now.

mumbojumbo Thu 23-Jun-05 17:13:58

I fell pregnant with ds2 when ds1 was 13 months old. I breastfed throughout my pregnancy and stopped feeding ds1 on his 3rd birthday. Hard work! Still feeding ds2 who is now 19 months.

I must be mad!

mumbojumbo Thu 23-Jun-05 17:14:51

PS

Only problem I found breastfeeding in the latter stages of pregnancy was there was nowhere to park ds1 (no lap!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now