Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

sickness in pregnancy not morning sickness - what can i do?

(3 Posts)
pecanpie Tue 10-Nov-09 20:16:12

For the past 3 weeks, I've been sick a lot. I'm now 24 weeks pregnant and things are not improving. It's not hyper-emesis and not as bad, but I can only eat tiny amounts of food in one go and that doesn't always guarantee that it will stay down. I've been given buccastem by my GP but I really don't like taking it and it's not really helping - I am sick but I don't have a problem with nausea. I've also experimented with a variety of antacids as sometimes I feel that's causing the problem, but all that does is make my stomach feel clogged and I'm more likely to be sick.

To put it into context, I've just eaten a small ramekin of rice and carrots which didn't stay down.

I am on GP and consultant based care and don't know what to do. I've seen 2 GPs and all they have done is sign me off work and told me to eat small amounts and rest. I am supposed to be going back to work on Monday but although DH can take me to tube on the way to work, I still have a 15 min walk on the way back and I don't have the energy to do half of that at the moment without starting to feel a bit light headed. I don't know how I am going to walk home and then go and collect DD from nursery on time. I have no family living within 200 miles of where I am.

I don't really have a way to get hold of the consultant's team to make an appointment and am wondering if it's worth getting a private appointment with her if it can be any quicker.

Any advice anyone - not as sick as some of you are/have been but really struggling.

I'm just really fed up and miserable and DH is working till all hours at the moment on a project with an imminent deadline which isn't really helping matters.

sjbj Tue 10-Nov-09 21:30:54

I had mild morning sickness which stopped at 14 weeks. I then enjoyed several smug months of feeling really really spritely and "glowing". However at 28 weeks I suddenly started being very sick and after a few days could no longer hold down water - long story short - in and out of hospital on drips and anti sick meds various tests later they couldn't find anything wrong. it has now calmed down but still occassionally need a tablet.

I went into hospital on advice from a midwife on labour ward - Can you ring yours?
What is buccastem? I am on cyclizine which are anti sickness tablets.
I agree with you about antacids - gaviscon etc vile concoctions! Hope you feel better soon x

pecanpie Wed 11-Nov-09 15:43:54

thanks - sounds exactly like what I am going through give or take a few weeks. Buccastem are anti sickness too but not doing me any good. Actually having a good day today. Not sick yet and have eaten a decent amount. Yesterday, I didn't eat anything outside of the very small list I have of 'foods which don't make me sick' but was so ill. I don't know whether to try to get an appointment with consultant's team on the basis I'm feeling a bit better today... Will weigh myself tomorrow and make a decision based on that I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now