Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Accidental pregnancy - is 13 month gap too close?

(29 Posts)
snowdropped Mon 09-Nov-09 19:40:46

Oh dear - I think I need some moral support. I found out today that I am pregnant with baby number 3 and baby number 2 is only 5 months old. I'm worried that a. I will be the saggiest old bag in town from such close pregnancies and b. my second babe will be forever ignored and therefore turn to drugs and crime. Am I over-reacting? xx

RealityBites Mon 09-Nov-09 19:44:06

Message withdrawn

snowdropped Mon 09-Nov-09 20:04:09

Oooh thanks. Really skinny you say? That would be nice. Have only been out of preggy jeans for 6 weeks! Feel a bit of a tit for letting it happen to be frank. I'm 33 not 16. As my mother pointed out, I do know how babies are made. As it turns out! (blush)

Champagneforlunch Mon 09-Nov-09 20:06:38

I know how you feel, exact same happened to me yesterday!! Had thought about having another one close in age but not this close.
There is five years between my first two, so not only will I have two babies I'll have to cope with school as well.
I'm taking solice in the fact that there is only 16 months between me and my sister and we turned alright (well not too bad anyway) and my mum actually thought it wasn't too bad.

snowdropped Mon 09-Nov-09 20:06:43

Hang on, that embarrassed face didn't work. Here we go again: As it turns out blush

RnB Mon 09-Nov-09 20:07:37

you will be fine I had mine close together if I coped anyone can

snowdropped Mon 09-Nov-09 20:09:32

Thanks Champagneforlunch. I got such a shock when I found out. There are two years between my first two so I'm staring down the barrel of 3 under 4 years old. Will be a shadow of my former self. A shadow with saddle bags, that is...

BloodRedTulips Mon 09-Nov-09 20:10:18

i found an 18 month gap far easier than a 2.5 year gap so i'm of the opinion the closer the better wink

congratulations and good luck grin

lucy101 Mon 09-Nov-09 20:11:19

HI there - I would actually love that kind of gap... we shall see when I start to try again.... best of luck

Champagneforlunch Mon 09-Nov-09 20:18:05

I'm still trying to get my head round it lay awake half the night thinking how i was going to fit everyone in the car. Not thinking about the fact we live in a two bedroom house or anything important like that.
Surely running about after 3 under 4s will make you very fit either that or you won't have time to eat.

4andnotout Mon 09-Nov-09 20:23:21

I have a 13 month gap between dd3 and dd4 and it has been the easiest gap so far.

DJSEXEY Mon 09-Nov-09 21:00:30

Hi I've just found out I'm 8 weeks pregnant after failed contraception and failed MAP!!! My son has only just had his 1st birthday and my daughter is nearly 5!!! I'm terrified but happy at same time!!!
Champagneforlunch 1 of my 1st thoughts was OMG there's not enough rm in the car also!!!!!
So i'm gonna have the joys of school runs, terrible 2's (nearly) and a newborn eek!!!!!xx

everlong Mon 09-Nov-09 21:09:55

It's a fab age gap. My eldest two are 13 months apart, tbh I just got on with it and they grew up together. You will be fine!

snowdropped Tue 10-Nov-09 09:22:36

Thanks ladies. Feel fractionally better today. Though hadn't even begun to think of the car situation which suddenly looms large. I shall force my husband (who is still in disgrace for getting me into this mess) to buy me some monster. It's the least he can do...
xx

RealityBites Tue 10-Nov-09 09:42:08

Message withdrawn

gemitygem Tue 10-Nov-09 10:04:29

Got 13 months between by two ds and its fab, wouldn't have it any other way. I won't lie the first year was horrendous, but now its so easy with them. They play great together.

Lost loads of weight as well running after them!

Love the small age gap so much that had another dc after 2 years and now am pregnant again so will be 19 months between my last two and I actually feel a little bit gutted its not another 13 month gap!!!

ziggyf Tue 10-Nov-09 10:40:21

There's 14 months between me and my sister and it was a great age gap! We were brilliant friends and still are now we're in our thirties. Congratulations!

Z x

mamasunshine Tue 10-Nov-09 10:49:49

I have a 15 month gap, youngest 4.5 months and I love it! It's hard work but it's slowly getting easier. My 19month old just loves having a baby brother and they're soooo cute together!!

bethoo Tue 10-Nov-09 10:58:26

i am in a similar situation, my ds is 2 and a half my dd has just turned 1 last month and currently 32 weeks pregnant so there is a 19 month gap between my first two and there will be a 14 month gap between the middle child and third! i am finding it ok with the two and i will have 3 under 3, well for a month or two at least! grin
so i am with you, you will be fine, us mums always find a way smile

snowdropped Tue 10-Nov-09 11:22:27

Thanks everybody! Getting more and more used to the idea. Maybe it's just better, once you're in the zone, to get on with it...?
On the CAR front, any suggestions? Does one have to go for one of those big things which make people spit on you in the street? Or can one get two small cars and somehow tie them together?
xx

displayuntilbestbefore Tue 10-Nov-09 11:24:01

i, too, am 14mths younger than my sister and whilst we fought like cat and dog when young, we are very very close now we're older. I asked my mum about it when I saw your post and she didn't think it was hard having such a small gap so I think you're worrying more than you need to smile

Carikube Tue 10-Nov-09 11:33:56

I'm glad to read all the positive stories on here - there'll be less than 14 mo between my two. My mother, sister and SIL have all done it before me and lived to tell the tale so I know it can be done...

BlueCollie Tue 10-Nov-09 11:52:42

There is only 10 and half months between me and my brother and my mum had my 5 year old sister as well as a useless husband and he was a useless dad too LOL. She coped and although there were times I felt pushed out think that was because I was/am a middle pain in the arse, independant child. Lots of middle children feel the same at times whatever the age gap is. Don't worry it'll be fine. x

displayuntilbestbefore Tue 10-Nov-09 11:55:50

That really IS a small gap BlueCollie! I would have been mortified to find I was already pregnant again so soon after giving birth!

sweetkitty Tue 10-Nov-09 11:57:30

I have a 18 month gap then a 2 1/3 year gap, 18 month gap is best, I love small age gaps.

You will be fine first year is tough then it gets easier as they play together, my two are like twins lost without each other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now