Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stretchmarks itching and bleeding

(10 Posts)
LissyGlitter Sun 08-Nov-09 09:16:20

because it's not like i have enough pregnancy problems...

My stretchmarks (at least I presume they are stretchmarks) are intensely itchy, and some are now bleeding (I think I may have scratched them in my sleep) I have tried covering myself in e45, I'm not allowed a bath due to SPD, what else could I do?

I was at the hospital the other day and the consultant actually asked me what the marks I had all over me were, I said I wasn't sure and she suggested exma (can't spell that, sorry!) but basically didn't know. Is it possible to suddenly develop it?

The marks are down the side of my bump and on my boobs, which is why I thought stretchmarks. I also have the odd spot elsewhere that is itchy, but those spots look more like, well, spots, whereas the bits on my belly and boobs are much larger and started off as dry skin.

also, can codeine or paracetamol make itching worse? I'm on them for SPD.

Argh, eight days to go till the section!

1mum1 Sun 08-Nov-09 12:10:34

I'd suggest a trip to your gp to check what it is. Gp may give you some cream or something and then maybe you could try some cotton gloves during the night to stop you scratching without realising? Hope this helps.

katemumtwo Sun 08-Nov-09 14:00:26

olive oil is about as good as most emollient creams - give it a go.

samuel447 Sun 08-Nov-09 14:09:10

Is this your first pregnancy? The reason I ask is that I had a condition called PUPPP which stands for a huge mouthful but means Polymorphic Eruption of Pregnancy. I had it with my first pregnancy (and am now 39 wks with my fourth and it hasnt ever re-occured and apparently only usually affects the first) You get intensely itchy spots which start within stretchmarks, and they are just so horrendously itchy you scratch and make them bleed. I only really had them on my abdomen but you can get them on your chest and upper arms and thighs I think. Horrible condition. Mine started at about 32 weeks I think and then had almost gone by 39 wks. Good to know though that it is totally benign - no harm to mother or baby. Just awful whilst happening. This could be what you have? Affects approx 1 in 160.

RockinSockBunnies Sun 08-Nov-09 14:38:24

How far along are you? My stretchmarks began to split, itch and bleed in the last month of my pregnancy. I think it was to do with the fact that I had such a huge bump.

I used E45 and got some stuff from the Health shop, a kind of gunky paste that helped with the itching. I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called (since this was nearly nine years ago!). IIRC, it was a greeny-grey colour, didn't smell that great but worked well.

jlo1234 Sun 08-Nov-09 14:44:35

my stretch marks are like big purple lines that start off like little wrinkles but they go wider and they look like they might tear. they are itchy and a bit sore, especially if i have been outside and my skin is cold they kind of tingle. i think you should show your gp or make sure u tell the midwife about it at ur next checkup x

LissyGlitter Sun 08-Nov-09 14:44:44

I'm 38 weeks with my second. I didn't get any stretchmarks at all with my first, but I only made it to 36 weeks before she was born and I was a lot smaller anyway that time.

Only 8 days until the section, and I'm pretty much housebound until then with bad SPD, so I think I may have to try the olive oil and carry on with just trying not to scratch! Good idea about the gloves, I will try sleeping in some. It will add to my overall sexiness, what with the piles of cushions, support belt, bleeding stretchmarks and legs tied together so I don't separate them in my sleep!

Eliza70 Mon 09-Nov-09 10:45:08

I second Samuel447 - I also had PUPP. It is very distressing, after about 10 days of itching / not sleeping / bleeding scabs I saw a doctor at the hosp who consulted a dertmatolagist who said what it was. I was then prescribed a steroid cream that sorted it out. Apparently it is more likely if you are having a boy as it is an allergic reaction to the extra testosterone!

samuel447 Mon 09-Nov-09 11:56:10

Eliza - it's good to hear of someone else who had this condition - horrific isn't it.. And yes, I had a boy! I have been terrified of it returning with each pregnancy but never has. I also found that even a lot of obstetricians hadnt even come across it. Luckily, I had a brilliant one who knew straight away and could reassure me. I remember having to wet tea towels, then put them in the freezer and lie with them on my tummy all night!!

RockinSockBunnies Mon 09-Nov-09 19:01:39

I remembered the name of the cream I used. It was called Chickweed and available from the Health Food shop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now