Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Foie Gras/Liver Pate - settle an argument please!

(5 Posts)
flyingcloud Sat 07-Nov-09 12:00:12

What is the correct reason that pregnant women are advised not to eat foie gras or liver pate (or any pate)?

a) The risk of toxoplasmosis
b) The risk of Listeria
c) The risk of consuming too much vitamin A which is suspected of causing eye damage to a developing foetus.

Or a combination of two of the above?

My argument is that it's cooked (and usually well cooked), so there is no risk of toxoplasmosis but the other risks exist so you take or leave them as you please. But being toxo immune does not mean that you can 100% safely eat it without any suggested risk.

This is not a thread to judge anyone's choices, I would just like the correct information, please!

LaurieScaryCake Sat 07-Nov-09 12:04:09

b and c I thought but I haven't looked it up. I bet the correct info is on a government health and pregnancy website

Pingpong Sat 07-Nov-09 12:07:11

I thought it was the vit A thing

moaningminniewhingesagain Sat 07-Nov-09 12:07:15

Risk of liver - tiny theoretical risk of excess vit A. I had liver and bacon from m&S a couple of times when I really needed it, I think you need to eats TONS to pose any problem.

Risk of any pate, even vegetarian ones - listeria risk. I avoided pate but ate it every day for a week after each baby was borngrin

Pingpong Sat 07-Nov-09 12:09:35

listeria and vitamin A according tothis site

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now