Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

12 week scan - increased nuchal translucency

(5 Posts)
Madigan Sat 07-Nov-09 09:42:59

I am in a bit of a state because at my 12 week scan yesterday (my 3rd pregnancy), the nuchal translucency was measured at 2.9 when the highest normal reading is apparently 2.4. So I was told I have an increased risk of having a baby with Down Syndrome. When all the other factors were taken into account (i.e. blood test, and absence of any other DS markers), the risk was assessed at 1:2140. Now I know that is a really low risk, but it is double the risk of my previous 2 pregnancies and I just cannot stop worrying about it. I know I need to get it into persepctive ...........
I would never have a termination, so no point having an amnio, but please -has anyone else been thorough this, and does anyone have any advice to stop be obsessing about this for the next 6 months. ? Thanks

lumpasmelly Sat 07-Nov-09 13:37:08

That actually sound like quite a good risk assessment, but I suppose it does depend on age. I was delighted with an assessment of 1/3495 at the age of 37, and my husband and I had set a "cut off" to have a CVS at 1/1000 which is much lower that the 1/250 cut off usually used. Our nuchal was between 1.8 and 2.4 (they measure the narrowest and the widest part) so not that different from yours.......my first son had a nuchal measurement of 4.1 and we had a CVS (1/71) risk though he turned out to be perfectly normal. If you are still concerned, have you considered having a second nuchal at the Fetal Medical Centre?....if you DID want a CVS following a 2nd opinion, then they have a really really low miscarriage rate so you would be in safe hands. good luck!

lumpasmelly Sat 07-Nov-09 13:40:55

BTW, my second son's odds were 1/6000, so twice as good as my current pregnancy.....I put the difference down to the fact I am 3 years older!!!

Pingpong Sat 07-Nov-09 13:46:42

I'd be delighted with 1:2140 !
I had the triple test and it came back as 1:55 so did have an amnio which came back clear.
You have a 2139 chance of having a healthy baby. You really need to put it to the back of your mind.

beaufies Sat 07-Nov-09 14:03:12

I had a risk of 1:160 taking nuchal and bloods into account (can't remember exactly what the nuchal measurement was...2.something) but i was 38. However the baby did have a nasal bone which improved the odds to 1:500 so you could ask about this.

I didn't have a cvs or amnio as i had conceived through fertility treatment and was terrified of miscarrying a healthy baby. So we booked a private anomaly scan with an obstetrician for the earliest possible date which I think was 18weeks but may have been earlier. The Obs said that downs babies usually have a number of easily identifiable markers at this stage. He was very thorough and the scan seemed to take ages but gave us the all clear. Not a guarantee but as good as you can get if you don't want to take any risks.

We also had the NHS anomaly scan as a double check and again all was well. DS was born happy and healthy

I'm pregnant again and now I'm 40 so I know it's going to be abother stressful time, but unless the risk came out much higher I would do the same again. Your odds are much better than mine was so try not to worry and try not to let it spoil your enjoyment of the pregnancy.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now