Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Need pregnancy dating but booking appointment not for 4 weeks - shall I go private?

(16 Posts)
MerryWifeOfWindsor Sat 07-Nov-09 09:36:32

Went to GP yesterday as I had to have my ear checked up and told him I was pregnant, but no idea how far as I have had very few, and irregular periods as I am breastfeeding. I know I am 5+ from one of those digital tests (the max weeks they go up to), but he told me to book in with MW who would sort it all out. Only MW appointment I could get though was 2nd December. Shall I go private for a scan, or do you think it will still be OK to date in about 6 odd weeks? Thanks

sunburntats Sat 07-Nov-09 09:39:55

ive got my scan at EFAU next week as i dont have a clue about dates either. Think i am 5 weeks or so.

do you have one of them near you?

MerryWifeOfWindsor Sat 07-Nov-09 09:42:58

Sorry, what is EFAU?

reikizen Sat 07-Nov-09 09:43:11

If you are about 5 weeks now, you will be approx 9 weeks by 2nd December, so the ideal time for a booking appt, and plenty of time to book a scan for 12 weeks. (Timescales as recommended by NICE guidelines). However, if you believe you are further on in your pregnancy, you may wish to sort something privately (don't know the cost so that may be a factor). Congratulations!

Carikube Sat 07-Nov-09 09:44:31

According to the blurb that I got given at my dating scan this past week, dating scans are only accurate when done from at least 8 weeks and even more so when done around 11-12 weeks (which is why most areas do them as standard at 12 weeks)so I reckon you should be fine waiting.

Congratulations on your pg smile

sunburntats Sat 07-Nov-09 09:44:41

early faetal assessment unit

MerryWifeOfWindsor Sat 07-Nov-09 09:47:24

The hospital I want to go to does have an early pregnany unit (if that's what it is) - can I book one direct? I am in an odd place though as my GP midwives are Heatherwood but there is no way in hell I am going there I always go to Frimley which is actually closer, so Heatherwood somehow always do my first scan then Frimley take over.

MerryWifeOfWindsor Sat 07-Nov-09 09:49:21

I am at least 5 weeks, but I could be 12 for all I know blush

EldonAve Sat 07-Nov-09 09:56:53

EPU lists with info

Lots of EPUs have a show up and wait service so you can just pop in and get scanned

sunburntats Sat 07-Nov-09 16:36:47

only thing is, i am having early scan cos i have had mcs, so i am super anxious and a scan will let me know when to expect to mc (usually) so that i can arrange stuff for when i go in hospital.
Hoping that this one will be ok, not hopeful though sad

MumNWLondon Sat 07-Nov-09 23:16:38

if you really have no idea whether you are 5, 7, or 10 weeks pregnant go back to GP and ask for dating scan. be really insistent. when you do have you scan they will date it (gets less accurate after 14 weeks) but you might miss the window for a nuchal scan (between 11-14 weeks)

mrsjammi Sat 07-Nov-09 23:18:49

Message withdrawn

piprabbit Sat 07-Nov-09 23:22:38

There is a downside to having a scan too early as it may be hard for them to see much, especially the heartbeat. You might then have a worrying wait for another scan a few weeks later to check everything is OK.

I think if you can bear to wait, I'd hang on until your 2nd Dec appointment, but that's just me.

Northernlurker Sat 07-Nov-09 23:51:21

Please don't lie about having bleeding if you don't. Early pregnancy units only have finite resources and people who are actually in trouble need them far more than people who are curious or anxious without cause.

OP - I think you should be fine to wait the time and will probably get a much better scan picture than if you tried now.

jlo1234 Sun 08-Nov-09 16:53:32

u dont normally have ur booking until u are about 8-9 weeks anyway and then the midwife will send you for a dating scan soon after that! i had my 12 week scan and she said i was actually 13 1/2 weeks and i didnt manage to have my booking till i was about 17 weeks due to HG.

i dont think there is much point in having one this early, even though youre not sure how many weeks you are. it will all be fine and you will have a nice scan picture if you wait for a bit longer, you might not be able to see anything yet anyway x

MerryWifeOfWindsor Sun 08-Nov-09 18:48:49

Thanks everyone - I think I will wait, though if I change my mind beforehand I have found a clinic nearish that does private scans for about £65/95.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now