Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

am i mad to consider this??

(10 Posts)
MrsMc82 Thu 05-Nov-09 20:51:16

hi everyone! just been ivited to a friends wedd ing....... i'm 29 weeks with our f irst atm, the weddning is mid march so baby will be at least 6 weeks old depending on how late he arrives ...... wedding is the scottish borders and we live in yorks so w ould be a whole weekend away am wo ndering if i'm mad to think its do-able with such young baby??? let me know what you reckon xx

whomovedmychocolatecookie Thu 05-Nov-09 20:54:58

Oh it's much easier when they are tiny - they sleep through most things and everyone is willing to give them a cuddle. Much easier than when they are a toddler and just bloody rude and messy everywhere (I have two toddlers - I speak from experience).

Don't worry about it. It'll be fine. As long as you haven't had a caesarian for being overdue and so can't drive and are wincing, it should be absolutely fine.

Weegle Thu 05-Nov-09 20:57:03

We went to a wedding when DS was 5 weeks old - 300 mile drive from home and I had a caesar. It was great grin. The drive was easier than with a 2 year old as you just stop to feed/change rather than worrying about 'entertaining' etc. I would tentatively accept the invitation and plan to go but don't beat yourself up if at the last minute you don't feel you can do it.

BeehiveBaby Thu 05-Nov-09 20:57:09

You will be fine. I went to a wedding in Somerset from Manchester when DD1 was 5weeks old and she wasn't the youngest baby there....I was quite miffed! I can't drive which IMO helps....don't discount the train. Much easier to feed, change, entertain etc.

LowLevelWhingeing Thu 05-Nov-09 20:59:47

6 weeks old is fine. You'll have got the hang of things and baby will still be quite easily portable and sleeping anywhere. You'll have a great time showing off the little bundle!

Beanigan Thu 05-Nov-09 21:05:47

Not mad at all! I went to a Christening with my 4 week old baby and was easy and lovely to show him off and get out of the house. Also you can take the baby to the evening function and let him/her sleep in the pram in the corner while you have a dance! (can't do that with a toddler!) - you'll have no end of people willing to keep an eye on him/her.

Derbydolly Thu 05-Nov-09 23:41:21

I took mine to an (admittedly local) wedding at about 8 weeks and had her in a sling for most of the time which was lovely.However, I echo Weegle's sentiments - don't worry if you don't feel up to it or don't fancy it when you get to that stage. It's lovely to show off your new 'un but don't feel like you are feeble if you just can't face it after us lot telling you to go! (I have to admit I only lasted two hours at the do before slinking home to beddie-byes!)

piprabbit Thu 05-Nov-09 23:52:20

Please double check with your friend that they understand that you are intending to bring a small baby to their wedding....and that you will be feeding approx. 2 hourly. Ask them if there will be any facilities for you to either quietly breastfeed or prepare a bottle.

I've read several threads recently where there have been arguments because there have been misunderstandings and it turns out that the bride did not want a) children at her wedding b) anyone flashing their norks (could distract attention from said bride), so you might want to be on the safe side and double check....

YanknCock Thu 05-Nov-09 23:56:14

Very doable. I've been dragging DS everywhere since he was born 10 weeks ago! Two overnight trips down to London, one to Oxford, and lots of day trips as well. I can now change a nappy on a moving train. grin

MrsMc82 Fri 06-Nov-09 07:38:53

thats fab, thanks everyone def....... going to check with my friend, the bride, that its ok to take him before organising travel/accom ect but main things i s that you guys don't think its a crazy thing to try!!! and best thing is that if i really don't fancy it closer to the time I can blame it on the baby a!nd not feel guilty at all!!! xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now