We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is this SPD? In sudden agony.

(13 Posts)
LissyGlitter Thu 05-Nov-09 20:36:04

I am in agony. I can't actually walk without DP to lean on, and even then it feels like my bones are actually breaking. I have had achyness for a while, and actual shooting pains when turning over in bed or so on (and I had a trapped nerve in my leg a few weeks back, which has healed now) but today it gradually got worse and worse.

I was actually at hospital earlier as I kept having the odd contraction and they wanted to check me over, and started having proper trouble walking then, but it was once I was home that it really kicked in. I stood up to get myself some paracetomol, and as soon as I moved my leg I actually fell to the ground. I managed to crawl (very slowly and painfully) to the door or the room so I could call DP, and he helped me onto a chair, and ran me a bath in the hope it was just a strained muscle.

He practically had to lift me in and out of the bath as to separate my legs was enough to make me shout out and go faint. He had to help me on to the loo and help me get dry as well, I am now lying on the bedsettee in the front room as I have no hope in hell of getting upstairs to the bedroom (our bathroom is downstairs)

I'm just achy if I stay absolutely still, but if I move it is really awful. I have had a dose of co-codomol but it doesn't seem to have helped.

I did think of ringing the delivery suite again, but what could they do? It isn't anything wrong with the baby, and I would rather be at home with my laptop and DP (DD is staying at the ILs so they can take her to a firework display) if I have to be in pain then in the hospital.

HELP!

LissyGlitter Thu 05-Nov-09 20:37:09

I am 37 weeks btw, with a section booked for the 16th.

ladyandthechocolate Thu 05-Nov-09 20:41:16

You poor thing! How many weeks are you?

It does sound like it. SPD/pelvic pain is usually pain around the base of the spine over the sacroiliac joints and on your pubic bone but can radiate to your inner thighs. It feels (to me) like the two sides of your pelvis are coming apart and can cause horrid clicking, grating as well as awful pain.
You could try tying a tight scarf around your pelvis under your bump to mimic a support belt but be careful you're not cutting off your circulation!
There's plenty of other advice on a different thread. Hope it settles soon. You might need crutches if it's really bad.

LissyGlitter Thu 05-Nov-09 20:46:07

The pain is most sharp at the hip joint on my left leg (kind of feels like if I could dig my hand in at the joint between my bits and my leg I could reach the pain), but does spread all over the pelvic area. It feels like my bones are grinding.

I am actually crippled. I was pathetically grateful to DP for making me a brew and lifting my legs into bed for me.

LissyGlitter Thu 05-Nov-09 22:33:00

Is there anything I can do? The pain is getting worse and i am just lying in bed. It seems to get worse with BHs, but they aren't regular or anything.

Tangle Thu 05-Nov-09 22:44:53

All I can suggest is tracking down a women's health physio - they should be in a position to advise you on how to move to minimise any pain and avoid making things any worse, and may well be able to supply you with bits and pieces (like a maternity support belt - the're not particularly glamorous, but if it works...) to help hold things together.

I was miserable enough with sciatica at 26 weeks and the relief of having someone who understood the way pregnancy can adapt your posture and cause problems was huge.

Fingers crossed you can find a solution and you're not too miserable for the rest of your pregnancy.

LissyGlitter Thu 05-Nov-09 22:54:40

I am giving serious consideration to ringing the hospital, even though I know they won't be able to do anything. It just feels wrong to just lie here being in pain without any kind of official diagnosis or anything. I am lying completely still and it is starting to make it hard to breathe properly. I should probaly try lying in a different position but I know that moving will intensify the pain. Sod it, I need to bite the bullet and shuffle myself about a bit.

This really is getting silly.

ihavenewsockson Thu 05-Nov-09 23:07:42

defo sounds like SPD. keep yr legs together.
pillow between yr knees to take the pressure off yr hips.
if you can pick up a maternity support band that will help. you strap it up around yr hips, well below the bump and it holds everything together.
get a referral for physio or go to a&e if it gets really bad.they will give you crutchs so you can walk with no pressure.
i had it from 30 weeks with ds1 and 20 weeks with ds2. i really feel for you.

best tip i heard was 'walk like you are wearing a mini skirt and no knickers'
that way you keep yr legs together getting in adn out the car etc and don't do any further damage.

SPD is NOT a musle problem. DO NOT EXERICSE YOU WILL DAMAGE YOURSELF.

and have a biscuit biscuit

June2009 Fri 06-Nov-09 08:25:47

I had mild spd during my pregnancy (diagnosed by a physio I got a referral from the midwife) and was given pelvic floor exercises to do which helped enormously (but still was not able to exercise, walk for long and had to be very careful all the time).
I also got a gym ball and did some exercises on it to help. (shown in great details by physio to make sure i was doing them properly).

Sit up straight with a cushion between your knees (keeping your legs together), if you are lying on your side put a cushion between your legs also.)
Don't sit for too long as it makes it worse, 20 minutes at a time was maximum for me.

It could be something else though, I'd ring the hospital/midwife/GP if I were you.

Naetha Fri 06-Nov-09 15:36:42

Have you spoken to your MW about it? I was just about to post a thread saying exactly the same thing.

I'm 37 weeks and in the last 48 hours I've gone from having achy hips, to the odd stabbing sensation in my right hip, to absolute excruciating agony in my right hip radiating up my back and down my leg which means I can barely walk. Like you, it feels like the bones are grinding together.

Please let me know how you get on

Tangle Fri 06-Nov-09 21:35:37

There's info here that might be useful as well.

Hope you've managed to contact someone and are feeling a bit better.

LissyGlitter Fri 06-Nov-09 21:55:15

Well I called the hospital, they made me go in, I ended up staying overnight and seeing a physio in the morning as an emergency. It is SPD, and pretty severe at that. I have been given crutches and a support belt and warned not to attempt even a couple of steps without them. Also been given codeine and paracetamol and told not to be even late with a dose.

Section in ten days, but until then I have not to do anything except walk very very slowly and carefully to the loo and back, and once a day up the stairs to bed. DD is going to be spending a lot of time with her grandparents!

The physio was really good, she went through every single movement I might want to make and showed me the best way to do it.

Tangle Sat 07-Nov-09 10:50:48

Glad you've managed to get advice, even if there was only so much they can do. Hope you can stay more comfortable now till your CS comes round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now