Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Braxton Hicks - which take your breath away?

(9 Posts)
Weegle Thu 05-Nov-09 18:42:30

I posted a while back about how 'early' in this pg I've had BH's. Well now (29 weeks with twins) I'm getting about 3-4 episodes of them a day where I physically am stopped by them and have to concentrate on breathing - they are really flipping uncomfortable. My friend yesterday who witnessed this said I glazed over - I simply couldn't carry on the conversation they were that strong. I saw the consultant today and completely forgot to ask - am seeing him again next week but just wondered if this is ok? Has anyone else experienced them like this? Since coming home and realising I forgot to ask I've become a little paranoid as when talking about my c-section date (36 wks) he said, "well my money's on you not getting that far" - and it took me so by surprise that I didn't say "why?!". And now I'm paranoid that I'm going to go in to premature labour.

memoo Thu 05-Nov-09 19:25:53

Hi Weegle, I had these too with DD who is now 7 weeks. I even went to the hospital convinced I was in early labour.

Once I was getting out of the car at school and had to steady myself on the door because they were so strong, a friend even came rushing over to see if I was ok.

I think its quite normal tbh, doesn't stop you worrying though.

Weegle Thu 05-Nov-09 19:27:38

oh thank you for replying! I was starting to think it must be something to worry about as no one had replied! When did you start getting them? ie. how long before labour?

Congrats on your new DD smile

memoo Thu 05-Nov-09 19:47:04

I started getting BH at about 20 weeks and they slowy got stronger as the weeks went by. By the time I was 30 weeks I was getting them really strongly every day. I think DH got sick of me telling him I thought I was going into labour early.

Every time I saw the midwife or consultant I would tell them how strong they were fully expecting them to say that they shouldn't be like that, but they all just said it was normal and a good sign that my body was just getting itself geared up for labour.

I never went into labour myself as I was induced at 38 weeks because of gestational diabetes, but by that time they were strong enough that I spent a couple of nights pacing the house convinced I was in labour and then gutted the next day when nothing had happened.

I know its easier said than done but try not to worry too much.

Thanks for congrats, DD is just perfect smile

Totallyfloaty35 Thu 05-Nov-09 19:48:45

I had these with dd3,they started at about 26wks.But by the time i was 33wks i was having loads and couldnt move or breathe when they happened.DD3 was born 1 day early, with her sisters i had to be induced and never had any BH.i know lots of ladies who had them and not had early labours.

Weegle Thu 05-Nov-09 20:51:00

thanks both - really put my mind at rest smile

1mum1 Thu 05-Nov-09 20:54:21

I'm starting to think the pains/cramping I've had today are Braxton Hicks - are they supposed to be painful? I'm 36 wks.

Beanigan Thu 05-Nov-09 21:18:32

Hi, I can sympathise! I never had any with my DS. But 2nd time round, they started this week (24 weeks) and are very very painful. Although I knew it wasn't labour contractions I did worry as I was doubled over and couldn't move. My husband ran in asking me what the problem was. They kept coming in waves and I couldn't speak through them.

Glad to hear from everyone else that this doesn't mean that they signify an early as my imagination has been running riot. Today I've had 2 lots of BH already so wondering if this is to be a daily event now. I'll mention it to my midwife next week but I'm sure she'll just say not to worry, it's normal.

Beanigan Thu 05-Nov-09 21:19:38

Meant early labour in message above!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now