Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

'Maternity leave', 'Career break', how do I say it?

(8 Posts)
shroomer Thu 05-Nov-09 17:10:12

I am going on 'maternity leave' from Jan to Oct. I've put it in quotes because I am self-employed and therefore I'm not taking leave from anyone! I don't get any maternity leave (I'll get an allowance from the gov). I want to start warning people in my email signature about my forthcoming leave, but it doesn't feel right using the words 'Maternity leave'; and I especially hate the term 'Career break' because it implies that my baby will some second to my career. Any advice?

oranges Thu 05-Nov-09 17:14:00

just say maternity leave. No one needs to know who's paying you.

hoops997 Thu 05-Nov-09 17:28:21

'parental leave' does that sound a bit better?

GuernseyFrench Thu 05-Nov-09 18:37:16

I will say maternity leave or would you prefer family time?

MrsJamin Thu 05-Nov-09 18:37:27

Call a spade a spade - it's maternity leave, this is a lot more understandable than anything else.

Derbydolly Thu 05-Nov-09 23:44:33

Yes, you are leaving work for maternal reasons so it's easier to say that - everyone will know what you mean. Plus, if you say 'parental leave' or 'career break' peeps might not realise what you are on about so you'd get less presents!!grin

shroomer Fri 06-Nov-09 08:01:00

Have decided on 'maternity break'. Thanks for all your posts.

BlueChampagne Fri 06-Nov-09 12:24:53

Sabbatical?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now