Talk

Advanced search

Um, just how infrequently SHOULD you see your MW with DC2?

(10 Posts)
WorkingStudentMummy Thu 05-Nov-09 13:04:40

My first pg was brilliant - absolutely fab (until trying to get DD out, but thats another story!). Not quite a smooth sailing this time but (I presume) no serious issues. I met MW for booking in appt very early on and she said she would see me again at 16 weeks (she would call me). When I'd not heard anything at 18 weeks I called her and she said if i was feeling okay she'd see me at 26 weeks and there was no need to see me then. Well i was ready for her this time and for the past two weeks (am now 28 wks) have been trying to call her and leaving messages (I'm not experiencing any problems but at the same time there has been a lot of stress with father dying, house purchase falling through - at this rate we're homelss in 3 weeks time, and long haul flights to USA and South Africa due to serious family illnesses)... but she seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

If i can't reach her, who should I try? My doc seems to regard her as an entirely separate entity to his surgery!

Flo23 Thu 05-Nov-09 13:14:47

You should expect to see your MW at 15-16 wks, scan at 20, MW again at 28 wks.

You could ask to see your GP for an antenatal check or call the ante natal clinic of the hospital you are booked at to see if they could either see you or speak to another community MW on your behalf.

VERY odd that she hasnt returned your calls, as you certainly haven't received the ante natal care you should expect to.

Hope all goes well!

tostaky Thu 05-Nov-09 14:43:05

Same as above - saying t5hat i didnt get the 16 weeks appointment.
so waiting for the 20 weeks scan.
have you had yours?

LondonL Thu 05-Nov-09 14:48:03

Get a new one ASAP. Why take the risk waiting around for the current one who clearly can't be bothered. Don't risk the health of your baby or yourself over someone's inability to stick to schedule.

Pinkjenny Thu 05-Nov-09 14:54:14

I saw my mw at 6 weeks, 16 weeks, then 24 weeks, and will see her again next week at 32 weeks.

WorkingStudentMummy Thu 05-Nov-09 17:01:14

Thanks everyone... just wanted to check that i wasn't being unreasonable! Small problem is that we live in a very small town (biggish village?!) where there is ONE MW, but am pretty sure that if i kick up a stink I can visit one in a neighbouring town if needs be...

blondiep14 Thu 05-Nov-09 17:32:51

I live in a big village too and have seen MW at booking in appt, 16wks, 28wks, next appt is 34 weeks. Also had the 12 and 20 week scans. I did pop in at 25 weeks to pick up HIP form too so I think you should definitely get in touch with someone from the surgery/hospital and get a new MW.

HeadFairy Thu 05-Nov-09 17:37:45

I went from 16 weeks to 32 weeks without seeing a mw (had a scan at 22weeks) but I did move house in that time... but I was getting nervous particularly because like you I had been through a very stressful time (house move from hell, homeless for 12 weeks, dh unable to walk for most of that time, moved twice on my own from my sisters to my mum and dad's etc etc etc) and I thought my BP really ought to be tracked. I was right and it was actually quite high when I finally did get to see her. Been monitored a bit and it's gone down to a more acceptible level. You should really try and chase the mw up. Do they have a clinic they work from? Can you turn up there and speak to her face to face to arrange an appt?

CatIsSleepy Thu 05-Nov-09 17:40:50

you need an appt now for blood tests to check haemoglobin level

sarah293 Thu 05-Nov-09 17:43:55

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now