Talk

Advanced search

Physio advised a c section what do you think?

(18 Posts)
mummyhill Thu 16-Jun-05 20:54:49

I have had back problems since i ws sixteen and am now 29. I did not suffer to badly in first pregnancy but back has been worse since. Had a normal delivery that time. I am now 28/40 and am having a lot of problems with my back. Have been to physio today and been told that i should talk to my consultany about a section as there is a possibility that a normal birth will cause further damage to my spine. I hate the idea of surgery though and wondered if there was anyone else out there with a similar problem who would be able to offer advice.

Pages Thu 16-Jun-05 21:07:50

Had no problems, but I had an emergency C section with DS1 and am choosing to have one with this pregnancy. It was extremely straightforward and apart from not being able to lift, etc. for 6 weeks after there was no negative side to it for me. As far as I am concerned, it is infinitely preferable to the pain of childbirth!

pupuce Thu 16-Jun-05 21:09:18

What is wrong with your back?

mummyhill Fri 17-Jun-05 09:30:51

I have a bulge on one of my discs which means i have no movement from that disc down and too much movement above where my body tries to compensate. I have been backwardsa and forwards for physio for the last 14 years!!! Am due to have an MRI in October.

NotQuiteCockney Fri 17-Jun-05 09:37:25

I use physios a lot, and really trust them ... but I think they know more about sports and backs than about birth.

I've had a physio say that my epidural might have helped cause my lower back problems, which I don't think was necessarily true.

At any rate, I'd talk to a consultant, and/or look into midwives who know about these things. Ideally, you should try to get some advice from someone who is pro-section (many consultants) and someone who is anti-, and see who makes the most sense?

mummyhill Fri 17-Jun-05 11:56:39

I have an appointment on 22nd July but wanted to gain as much info/oppinions as possible before i get there so that i can try to make as an informed decsicion as possible, due to the fact that i don't think that any kind of surgery should be undertaken lightly.

AnotherHelen Fri 17-Jun-05 13:03:22

Hiya mummyhill, my mum has always had back problems very similar to yours by the sounds of things, and i she was also advised the same when she gave birth to me, as she hadn already given birth naturally twice before but had made her back slightly worse each time and now many years on she is now in her 60's she is paying for it! her back is constantly driving her mad and she has tried everything to relieve it, she did have have a section with me, but had already gone against Dr's advice and had 2 normal deliveries, from the c-section point of view, i have had 2 and am having another in september, and its not nearly as bad as its made out to be sometimes, i had a very easy time both times and i have no worries at all about another one, surely if it saves your back a bit its well worth it in the long term?? its a tough decision though im sure, best of luck!! xxxx

mears Fri 17-Jun-05 13:07:19

I am not sure how a Caesarean is going to be better for your back TBH. The main damage to backs is caused by pregnancy itself. Being immoblised in a bed with an epidural is not ideal where there are back problems. If an epidural is needed then attention needs to be paid to positioning in bed. Birth itself should not cause damage to the spine. Definately speak to your obstetrician.

NotQuiteCockney Fri 17-Jun-05 13:12:56

Oooh, what mears says reminded me - after my last (very good) section, I was stuck in bed, holding the baby, overnight. I got my mobility back sometime in there (section and epidural were at 3am), but was holding the baby, and couldn't move well, and had my pelvis/back in a bad position. It took weeks for it to get better.

Also, the damage to your abdominal muscles from a section really doesn't help your back - your stomach muscles are weak for ages, and as stomach muscles are what prevent back pain ... it's not good.

(I don't have serious back problems, just slight lower back/tailbone issues. But my sections still haven't helped with those!)

pupuce Fri 17-Jun-05 19:17:51

Mummyhill have you thought a going to an osteopath rather than a physio? I have clients who have been helped far more by osteopaths than physio. They had vaginal births (in water actually)... just a thought.

janeybops Fri 17-Jun-05 19:34:21

won't you be under a general for a c section though? I was told coz of my bad back I wasn't allowed an epidural (or rather none of the aneasthtists sp! were prepared to do one).
so if I went down c section route I would have to have a general anaesthetic.

janeybops Fri 17-Jun-05 19:34:55

personal I would go for the op rather than endure years of potential back pain.

Kidstrack2 Fri 17-Jun-05 20:03:20

Have had serious back pain for over 6yrs. Gave birth to my dd 2yrs ago and the only thing I would say is to keep mobile and not stay in the same position throughout your labour. Because I was a previous emergency c/s I was confined to the bed and it did slightly damage my back further. However I am due to go for a MIR scan soon to find the root of my back pains! I don't think you will damage your back if you labour and stay mobile keeping the pressure off your back. Your will be supported throughout as they know of your back condition.

nervousmum2be Fri 17-Jun-05 20:59:46

Hi, i have an L5-S1 disc prolapse, and have been told 'categorically' that i must have a CS in case i do any further damage. I'm not relishing the thought of surgery, but i think it's preferable to going through the agony of when i first had my back injury (only a year ago. Oops, pg wasn't planned), and so long as Baba's delivered safely, that's all that matters - we figured that it would be better to be slightly incapacitated for 6 weeks post CS than to be totally incapacitated and unable to care for a newborn for 6+ months, which could be the result of a non-surgical delivery

nervousmum2be Fri 17-Jun-05 21:04:28

Oh, and Janeybops - i think it depends on where your back problem is as to whether you can have an epidural. My problem (as confirmed by MRI pre-pg) is relatively low down, so both my orthopaedic consultant and obstetrician are happy for me to have a spinal, so long as its done high enough and by someone senior!

welshmummy Sun 19-Jun-05 21:39:42

Hello
Gonna add my 2pence worth!! As a physio I think that you should see your consultant and have a full and frank discussion about your circumstances. There are far too many possible causes for your back pain itself - yes you may well have a prolapsed disc but it is not specifically that which is causing your symptoms - your altered movement = joint and muscle activity is (in basic terminology). *I could never disagree with a medical professional who knows all the facts when i know none but seek a holistic opinion*. Also is it a specific obstetric and gynae - womens health physio that you are seeing or someone in out patients??
I had a section last Oct and hope for a normal delivery in Dec (!!!!), I have a disc problem, amongst others!!, to do with my back I mean! We are all so very different.

expatinscotland Sun 19-Jun-05 21:51:57

Wow, I've never heard of such a condition! My aunt needed a c-section, but she had been struck by a car years before and had a lot of metal in her pelvis. Shards of bone had also cut her vagina and she'd needed surgical repair for that.

If it can be avoided, I would certainly discuss your concerns with a consultant. Especially if a general anesthetic is suggested. It can depress the baby's respiration and is usually avoided unless absolutely necessary.

mummyhill Thu 23-Jun-05 19:19:07

The physio is from out patients - a lovely woman but not sure where her speciality lies!!

I have had a word with a sympathetic midwife today and she suggested that i contact the orthapeadic consultants secretary and explian the situation and then ask if it is possible for him to communicate with the obstetric consultant before i go and see him so that he has all the facts and can advise me correctly. So i shall get on the phone tomorrow and see what i can organise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now