Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Rasberry Leaf Tea

(3 Posts)
jlo1234 Wed 04-Nov-09 22:24:48

i got some raspberyy leaf tea today after reading somewhere that its meant to do something good, what exactly is it supposed to do?
and when should i start to drink it because ive been told from 36 weeks but i read it somewhere else that its ok from 32 weeks.

im nearly 33 weeks now and i dont know wether to wait a few more weeks until i drink it, will it do me any harm if it is too early?

BellasYummyMummy Wed 04-Nov-09 22:32:01

the myth is its supposed to bring on labour, though i dont think there's any evidence on that. I took the capsules as they were more concentrated and i hate the taste of fruit tea, but not until i was about 38 weeks. I dont think it helped speed things along as i was overdue anyway!

I would be reluctant to take it at 33 weeks, i think you can take it from 32 but need to start off with just a cup a day.

If anything its packed full of good stuff and is supposed to help shrink your uterus back after the labour.

Gillybeans Wed 04-Nov-09 23:04:46

Bellasyummymummy is right - the benefit of raspberry leaf tea for the pregnant woman is to prepare the uterus for labour. It strengthens and tones the uterine muscles making them contract more efficiently. It is not effective as a means to bring on labour. It is deemed safe in the last eight weeks of pregnancy but I think 34 weeks is a good time to start with one cup per day but check the manufacturer's instructions and the strength of the blend.
Hope that helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now