Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone know if you can get orthodontic treatment for free when you're preg?

(7 Posts)
MonstrousMerryHenry Wed 04-Nov-09 14:43:19

And if so, does it depend on your dentist/ orthodontist's goodwill?

Owlingate Wed 04-Nov-09 17:17:44

No I don't think so. Was quoted £3000 for ortho work when I tried this whilst pg (and mine are pretty bad to the extent it affects my dental health as the overcrowding makes effective cleaning difficult). You can get a nice white filling though!

bigpreggybelly Thu 05-Nov-09 12:18:48

Ortho treatment isn't available on the NHS for adults anyway, so it won't make any difference if you're pregnant or not, you'll have to pay the private fees.

MonstrousMerryHenry Thu 05-Nov-09 23:45:01

Damn! Checked the Brit Dental Assn website and it said yes for preg women under their 'orthodontics' section. I must admit, I was rather surprised to see that; will check with dentist anyway but I'm not optimistic.

jasper Fri 06-Nov-09 00:42:17

I am a dentist. It depends on the orthodontist.
The vast majority do not take adult patients on the NHS at all, so whether you are currently exempt or not is irrelevant.

If you are anywhere near Glasgow, CAT me and I can send you to an excellent orthodontist who DOES see adults on the NHS, and being pregnant you would not have to pay

MonstrousMerryHenry Mon 09-Nov-09 13:47:54

Jasper - ohh, dear - Glasgow is just a few hundred miles from me sad. Oh well! Thanks for trying to help, anyway!

Abubu Mon 09-Nov-09 15:19:00

No I don't think you do get it. Also I had my one and only filling the last time I was pg and had to pay extra to get a white filling!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now