Talk

Advanced search

Exercise using HR monitor

(4 Posts)
Gargula Wed 04-Nov-09 14:42:16

Hello,
This is probably a stoooopid question, but does anyone know whether it's safe exercise using a HR monitor while pregnant (one of those monitors that goes round your chest and transmits to a little watch thing).
I think its probably fine but was wondering about how the signal is transmitted and whether that could have negative effect on baby.
Anyone know?
Thanks

oopsandbabycoconut Wed 04-Nov-09 18:04:33

Hi

I used on throughout my last pregnancy and am using one now and DD is fine. I don't see how they could affect the baby such a small amount of anything - most likely less than any transmission from a mobile phone!

superbean Wed 11-Nov-09 15:33:51

Yes its fine but if you are used to exercise I think the guidelines are that you should use the Perceived Rate of Exertion scale rather than a heart rate monitor. This is because the variances are so different from person to person/stage of pregnancy etc depending on your fitness levels. So if you are in good shape then trying to stick below e.g. 130 bpm might not be working you enough. My aerobics teacher has been very helpful since I told her I was pregnant, helping me adapt stuff etc and I found a trainer who has experience of exercise in pregnancy. Definitely worth seeking out good advice if you can.

ib Wed 11-Nov-09 15:46:11

Superbean, that's really interesting. I tried exercising with the hrm but the problem was if I kept my hr below 130 I did not feel like I was exercising at all - what is the Perceived Rate of Exertion and what are the guidelines relating to that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now