Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Restless legs at night....arrrghhhh!

(7 Posts)
HelishAngel Wed 04-Nov-09 14:23:17

If someone had handed me a saw last night I would have happily cut the buggers off...my legs that is. It's hell!!! I got very little sleep. I don't get it every night but when I do it's an absolute nightmare.

For anyone else suffering, you have my utmost sympathies but be aware it 'may' be a sign of iron deficiency, kidney probs and can also be caused by estrogens...more info readily available but I found this interesting:

http://www.papworthhospital.nhs.uk/content.php?/ourservices/other_services/sleepcl inic/restlesslegssyndrome

Naetha Wed 04-Nov-09 14:26:49

Bananas and milk - either of these or combined.

Restless legs is also due to a deficiency in alkali and alkali-earth-metal salts (potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium).

Eating 2-3 bananas a week, and having breakfast cereal every morning did the trick for me almost instantly

HelishAngel Wed 04-Nov-09 15:04:12

Brilliant Naetha, thanks for the info...great stuff will try those...ANYTHING is worth a go...well, almost anything ;)

fiestabelle Wed 04-Nov-09 15:09:48

You have my sympathy, it is very annoying. Have you had your iron levels checked? I have been taking Spatone twice a day and havent suffered since, also as previous posted said, bananas, milk and I also found that a shower last thing, and letting ice cold water run on my calves for as long as I could stand it also helped. Worth a try?

BLEEPyouYOUbleepingBLEEP Wed 04-Nov-09 20:46:46

I'm with belle on the cold thing, but I just put my legs out of the covers at night, in this cold weather they soon cool down lol

PanicMode Wed 04-Nov-09 20:54:45

I stuff myself full of vits, eat breakfast every day, eat bananas and drink milk, and do all of the other things - have had my iron levels checked....and in all of my pregnancies I have suffered SO badly with it - and it's started earlier and earlier. With my first I had it in the latter part of my last trimester, my second was about the end of my second trimester, my third was at the beginning of my second - and this time I have had restless legs from the off - and I'm not even half way through!!

It's seriously annoying.....and any other fellow sufferers have my sympathies!

Comma2 Wed 04-Nov-09 22:10:51

I have had rls since childhood, and worse in pregnancy. Nothing to do with Ca for me, neither Mg nor any other vitamins or minerals.
It's all sleep. I HAVE to hit the bed as soon as the tingling starts, or I'll be paying for it. Doctor said the only thing helps is (I think) the fever stuff in tonic water--to pregnant to remember...but can't take when pregnant anyway.

ah, quinine or so. In general they suspect it's got somethign to do with dopamine metabolism, but they don't know really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now