Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Opinions on getting the SF vaccine immediately after giving birth?

(3 Posts)
catski Tue 03-Nov-09 22:38:22

I'm 34 weeks along and haven't had the vaccine (yet). Still undecided to be perfectly honest, but am wondering about getting it after giving birth instead. Does anyone know if there is any danger in getting the vaccine so soon after birth? I was reading on the other thread that a new mother's immune system 'crashes' for a couple of weeks after giving birth, but it all seems to be based on hearsay and I can't find anything concrete on that. It would be rather a shame to dodge getting swine flu whilst pregnant, only to be killed off immediately after giving birth by the vaccine.

Obviously the baby won't be protected if I have the vaccine after the birth, but if I and the rest of my family are protected then that would presumably give her less chance of contracting it.

I suspect there's very little data on this (as with the vaccine whilst pregnant), but would be interested in your opinions.

corblimeymadam Tue 03-Nov-09 22:43:36

Message withdrawn

catski Sun 08-Nov-09 14:46:58

I had forgotton about this thread. Thanks for your info bb. I think I read on the US cdc website that women are still considered high risk for two weeks after giving birth as that's how long it takes for your immune system to get back to normal. No info on whether it's dangerous to have the vaccine during this period though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now