Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Want to buy a couple of bottles for EBM but totally confused!

(4 Posts)
londonlottie Tue 03-Nov-09 17:34:47

Message withdrawn

alexw Tue 03-Nov-09 17:44:17

Tommee Tippee teats are supposed to stretch a la real nipples... Supposed to be nicely compatible with bf.

seaside72 Tue 03-Nov-09 20:49:18

Hi lottie
It's a nightmare isn't it? I used Dr Browns bottles at first (with an Avent steam steriliser) then the whole BPA thing blew up last year and I changed to Born Free (exactly the same as Dr B's but BPA free) anyway I have always been really happy with the style (at first you will only need the little chubby 4oz ones). Both makes have a vent system which is supposed to reduce wind/colic and we never had any problems with wind but maybe DS would not have had anyway? hmm

I was only ever expressing though (bf failed spectacularly! never got DS to latch on despite the intervention of about 100 BF councillors, nurses, mw, osteopaths etc etc grin) so no issue with nipple confusion and I do know many of my bfing friends used the tommy tippee ones.

I may be mistaken but I seem to recall reading that many manufacturers have gone BPA free in the last year - I am sure Nuk has and also I think tt and avent??

I am still using Born Free bottles and standard avent bottles.

Another option to consider is the Playtex ones with the drop ins - have you seen
them - my friend swears by them - you only have to sterilise the teat, ring and lid on a daily basis and this may be a good option for you if you are only using them maybe 1 or 2 times a day (rather than 5 or 6)?

Also if you are only using them for EBM then the BPA thing is not so much of an issue as you will only be slightly warming the milk rather than making up formula with water at 70 degrees? Although I know I would rather be BPA free anyway as I am sure you will too!

I always knew I would use bottles of some sort and when I was pg I ended up buying a couple of each make (Nuk, Avent, Dr Browns) and then tested them out with DS1 - luckily he was not fussy (some babies are) so I just stuck with the ones I liked!

I never used a microwave steriliser as I have a combi micro which does not have a turning plate thing iyswim. Don't even get me started on the whole issue of sterilising and then keeping a bottle "sterile" ! arghhh

mumcah Tue 03-Nov-09 21:09:51

I'm pretty sure all the main manufacturers now make BPA bottles....including Avent so look out for them.You can look on the Avent website for more info.
A microwave steriliser will be quicker to do a cycle rather than an electric one but you will probably get more equipment in an electric one,pump and bottles etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now