Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can breastfeeding cause a false +?

(10 Posts)
MerryWifeOfWindsor Mon 02-Nov-09 21:08:24

Just took a test and it came up + very quickly, instantly infact. I had an odd inkling, just an odd feeling but just wanted confirming I wasn't before I went on the pill (asked GP few weeks ago, she asked me to read some leaflets and come back). Feel very odd - can BFing (14m old) cause this? AM I really pregnant? Dh and I haven't done it much as I was thinking about the Pill, and I was kinda sure not around my ovulation but then I have only had 2-3 periods since DS. [stunned]

Tambajam Mon 02-Nov-09 21:11:49

Bf cannot cause a false positive.
If you were having unprotected sex then it seems you are pregnant. Even without a menstrual bleed being back to normal you could still be ovulating regularly. The older your child, the less reliable breastfeeding is as a method of contraception. It's only useful under 6 months/ pre-solids and even then under very strict conditions.

Hope this is what you want to hear. I imagine it's a surprise if you weren't expecting it.

MerryWifeOfWindsor Mon 02-Nov-09 21:18:21

Thanks. I am just so stunned right now, we obviously knew it was a chance but you kinda think it won't happen all the same. I need a lie down. How do I go about dating? Do I book in and M/W will sort it, or do I go to GP? I have no idea at all about dates, I think I am just getting over swine flu, I have just had 2 red bulls, I went drinking Oct. 2nd, I went on a pate binge last month enjoying no restrictions of pregnancy... oh heck.

Tambajam Mon 02-Nov-09 21:29:24

I wouldn't bother trying to guess dates. I would start with the GP. They may be able to get you in for an early scan for dating. I think in some cases they can also do blood tests to look at HCG levels. I've heard of someone having 2 tests a couple of days apart to see the levels rise but that was in the US. I can't see the NHS paying for that.

Just DON'T let them trap you into saying the first day of your last period as they could just be a complete waste of time.

Don't fret about what you did when you didn't know. It doesn't sound too awful. Just break out the folic acid and I hope all goes well.

GhoulsAreLoud Mon 02-Nov-09 21:32:13

Can I be cheeky and say congratulations!

I have a 14mo old too and got a BFP 10 days ago and was pretty stunned too. If you end up being due in July you will be made very welcome on the July a/n thread smile

MerryWifeOfWindsor Mon 02-Nov-09 21:37:15

Thanks I forgot about folic acid, I am all over the place! This is my third (eldest is 3), you think I'd remember. GP, GP, GP... ok. Thanks. I cannot remmeber dates anyway, first was a few days after post birth bleeding stopped, another about a year ish ago, then another a few months back. I am sat here motionless, I suddenly feel like the only pregnant person in the world blush

littleducks Mon 02-Nov-09 21:38:02

oh dear, nope bfing cant cause a false + any more than it can be relied upon as a contraceptive wink

go see gp, they will hopefully send you for an early dating scan

one hcG test alone is pretty inconclusive so they do give you two or more if required when seen at EPU

MerryWifeOfWindsor Mon 02-Nov-09 21:41:44

Thanks Oh frig, July! I won't even have no.1 bundled off to school yet. Congratulations on your BFP Typical, there is 1/2 a pack of pate in the fridge and 2 beers. And I have just bought a tiny tiny fiesta. That's what's done it wink Oh hell, I feel all abit giddy now, must go and find a room without a child sleeping in to lie down

MumNWLondon Mon 02-Nov-09 22:04:46

no breast feeding can't cause false postive - as your cycles totally irregular will need scan to try and work out dates. i wouldn't even admit to knowing when last period was, infact maybe just tell them you haven't had once - incase they try and work out due date. midwife might be able to make educated guess from height of uterus.

regarding using breast feeding as contraceptive - it is possible under VERY limited circumstances - baby has to be exclusively breastfeed every 4 hours, no dummies, no periods, under 6 months.

once you ovulate you either get pregnant or have a period around 14 days later... hence you could get pregnant without having a period. normal for completely irregular periods whilst breast feeding.

not really sure why you are surprised - i mean you were having unprotected sex???

MerryWifeOfWindsor Mon 02-Nov-09 22:13:44

Just suprised as an irrational part of me just thought I'd be OK until I finally got around to making the GP appointment for the pill. It was a big decision, we initally agreed never to go beyond natural family planning, but I had decided over the last month I would actually really like to not get pregnant for a few years and we were kinda in that cross over phase of 'it's OK if it happens' to 'OK, lets leave it at 2 DC for a while more definatly' kinda phase. It's the classic "It'll never happen to me" thing, I just had to not get pregnant for a few more weeks. Even when I saw my last 2 very planned + tests I was shocked for some reason, I must be easily shocked! Totally surreal though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now