Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stupid I know but...

(7 Posts)
wafflesmum Sun 01-Nov-09 20:33:19

I woke up last night having a terrible nightmare - shouting and screaming and heart pounding. Took a good while to calm down. At 16 weeks can this have had any impact? Be kind! I'm a worrier...

GladysFox Sun 01-Nov-09 20:37:13

No! I had horrible nightmares at the beginning of my pregnancy with DD. I think it's quite common.

Pinner35 Sun 01-Nov-09 20:48:18

Nightmares and also erotic dreams are very common in pregnancy.....I had both sorts all throughout my last pregnancy.

crankytwanky Sun 01-Nov-09 21:32:00

Oh god this is normal.
Erotic dreams (about women I know mostly hmm) and horrible, horrible nightmares.

Do you mean any impact on the developing fetus? Raised cortisol levels can impact on brain development, but I don't think in the case of nightmares it would be too high.

babyboom1979 Sun 01-Nov-09 21:44:33

Women deliver perfectly healthy babies in dangerous war zones and under extremely stressful conditions.

Nightmares are absolutely normal in pregnancy. Please DO NOT worry -- your baby is absolutely fine.

crankytwanky Mon 02-Nov-09 08:56:04

Oh yes babyboom, but in those kind of conditions, and I mean seriously stressful, raised cortisol levels can lead to aggression from the child later in life. Leaving a child for extended periods of crying can have the same effect I believe.

But dreams are a natural way for the mind to deal with stress or new experiences etc. Baby will be fine! I don't want to scare OP!

babyboom1979 Mon 02-Nov-09 10:40:20

Crankytwanky -- that is a very interesting theory. However, I felt that mentioning the raised cortisol levels may have been more of a stress for wafflesmum than a comfort -- one more thing for a worried mother-to-be to worry about. Which is why I mentioned that women in war zones do deliver healthy babies and that nightmares in comparison are completely benign natural occurances that will have no impact on a developing fetus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now