Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ok its been done before but baby clothes!.....help

(4 Posts)

Ok please can someone knock some sense into me and tell me how many of what I will need for my baby!

I went through all the clothes we have been given and had 8 new drawers to fill! well I filled the drawers and still have clothes left over so...... what do I need?

Will 14 vests do and 14 baby grows? How many pairs of trousers, t shirts etc? He's due in January, how many coats/snowsuits will he need?

I need to be realistic and space is an issue and as DH just pointed out the baby has more clothes than we do!

Also how soon was your baby in 3-6 month clothes? I have been offered 3-6 month clothes but dont want to take yet due to lack of space.

Another questions cot mattress, is it really essential to buy the most expensive one or are they all pretty much the same??

Thanks for all your help smile

sorry to ask so much but know you will help me smile

Northernlurker Sat 31-Oct-09 12:49:36

Ok - calm down!

First thing to remember is that unless your baby arrives on Christmas day the shops will be open, many supermarkets are open 24 hours and you can get anything you desperately need at 3am if you desperately need it then!

To address your points

Will 14 vests do and 14 baby grows?

Yes - assuming you have laundry facilities in the house? Even the most messy and sick making baby will take a few days to get through that lot!

How many pairs of trousers, t shirts etc?

This is personal preference - you may like him in 'outfits', you may fall in love with cute and easy babygrows. You definately don't need to buy this now though - people will give you a truck load of stuff when he's born and you can then sort out what you like on him and buy stuff for when he's bigger.

He's due in January, how many coats/snowsuits will he need?

At least one snowsuit and a couple of cozy cardigans or very soft jackets - nothing too rigid because it will be a nightmare to get him in to. Cardigans are very cute and cosy and easy to get on and off if made from soft wool.

I need to be realistic and space is an issue and as DH just pointed out the baby has more clothes than we do!

Welcome to the mothering club!

Also how soon was your baby in 3-6 month clothes? I have been offered 3-6 month clothes but dont want to take yet due to lack of space.

This depends on birthweight. Mine were all about 8lbish and went in to 3-6 at about 3 months but if your baby is smaller or bigger than average than that will change - again you'll just have to wait and see.

Another questions cot mattress, is it really essential to buy the most expensive one or are they all pretty much the same??

You need a mattress that is going to support the baby but no you don't need to spend a fortune. My dd3 has a fairly basic spring one from Ikea and it's been good.

HTH

Heated Sat 31-Oct-09 12:49:52

You have TONNES, really.
Mine spent a lot of time in babygrows and vests in the first weeks and then more recognisably trousers and tops from 3-6m, so say yes to 3-6m, he'll be in them before you know it.
Snowsuit for the 0-3 and coat for 3-6.
And then of course there are the Christmas sales!

ok fab! So I shall have a major cull of his clothes this weekend then keeping no more than 15 baby grows and vests, and t shirts i think 15 to should be ok grin His clothes are all so lovely and they were all from a friend but im sure she will be happy to know they will be used!

thanks once again i knew id get some sense from you! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now