Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How did your second pregnancy compare to your first?

(19 Posts)
Wonderstuff Fri 30-Oct-09 22:35:43

I am debating whether to have another. I had an awful pregnancy last time and the thought of going through it again fills me with fear. Birth and baby bit were fab, apart from her not sleeping for a couple of years grin

DH says he would be quite happy to stop at one, I just don't feel our family is complete, and I really think that DD would benefit from having a sibling.

I really wish dh could do the pregnancy thing instead.

So please tell me that after feeling really sick all the way though your first pregnancy you felt absolutly fabulous during your second and your baby was sleeping through by 6 weeks? [hopeful]

bigsquirtybloodylips Fri 30-Oct-09 22:39:07

my first pg was perfect apart from tiredness...thats all just tiredness. second pg was soo different. i had MS on and off, Loose pelvis joint (was in agony for a month till i saw the physiotherapist), had the same tiredness and was hibernating!! lol!!

good luck if you do go ahead with the 2nd pg.

4little1s Fri 30-Oct-09 22:42:22

First one for me was harder compared to the second. Not sure if it was simply I just new the score and what to expect etc etc or if I was just lucky.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.

corblimeymadam Fri 30-Oct-09 22:51:14

Message withdrawn

Wonderstuff Fri 30-Oct-09 22:59:37

Last pg was actually second, first one didn't last too long, but I was sick with that one too. I guess I may be less worried about the next pregnancy, now I know I can get to the end of one

I hope the last couple of weeks are as easy as they can be and you have a fab birth belgianbun

Pregnancy is just so long isn't it!

Fleecy Fri 30-Oct-09 23:04:35

Can't help you with the pregnancy as mine were very similar - but DD (bottlefed) was a terrible sleeper whereas DS (breastfed) slept through from 8wks.

So even if you have a rough pregnancy, at least you might get some sleep a bit sooner smile

Wonderstuff Fri 30-Oct-09 23:06:31

That would be excellent. Really need no.2 to be a sleeper, more for DH's sanity than mine, he is the grumpiest person in the world without sleep.

corblimeymadam Fri 30-Oct-09 23:07:16

Message withdrawn

corblimeymadam Fri 30-Oct-09 23:08:34

Message withdrawn

"So please tell me that after feeling really sick all the way though your first pregnancy you felt absolutly fabulous during your second"
yes, well not absolutely fab but i vomited every day for months with #1, just some slight nausea with #2, controlled by eating blush

and your baby was sleeping through by 6 weeks"
#2 is exactly 6 weeks today - i'll let you know in about 7 hours time

Wonderstuff Fri 30-Oct-09 23:16:10

Everything crossed for you SHRIIEEK smile

I wouldn't bother, think its fairly unlikely, sorry
and even if she does, my 2yo can be counted to wake me 2 or 3 times angry

vanimal Fri 30-Oct-09 23:36:05

I was VERY sick during my first pregnancy (ended up on a drip) and only slightly less sick on my second (ended up on a drip but for 3 days instead of 6 grin).

Second time around I could manage it better and was more distracted by DD1, whereas first time around I didn't know that it was going to end one day, it would all be so worth it etc.

Still plan to do it again - you do get through these things.

FWIW my sis-in-law was sick in her first pregnancy and not at all in her subsequent ones, same with my own sis envy.

annamama Sat 31-Oct-09 00:11:45

They say every pregnancy is different!

I'm having a slightly easier one second time around.

A 2 year old should not have to wake you up! Do sleep training / controlled crying, it works! Do it now before the bad habit of waking up get worse...

good luck

mistletoekisses Sat 31-Oct-09 05:49:28

Second one is harder for me physically as I have a toddler running around.

Emotionally however is far easier as am more relaxed and hence actually enjoying it more.

Re. the sleeping - I used the baby whisperer. Godsend!

nooka Sat 31-Oct-09 06:13:21

My second pregnancy was harder than my first, but I think that was probably because of having ds (who was only 8mths when I got pregnant with dd).

I had a friend with hyperemisis (sp) first time around, ending up in hospital on I think more than one occasion, and then was fine with the second baby - she put it down to having a bacon sandwich every morning before getting out of bed!

MrsJamin Sat 31-Oct-09 06:34:29

Sorry I'm not sure why a second pregnancy would be any easier than a first? Pretty silly question IMHO. Mine is worse as I have a toddler who likes to get up at 5am.

lola0109 Sat 31-Oct-09 06:46:05

My 1st pregnancy didn't seem too horrendous but I had terrible sickness from about 4 weeks until 7 months. I actually weighed less right before I gave birth than when I fell pregnant. That was actually a good thing tho. I had Carpal tunnel for last 8 weeks, couldn't even drive. AND I had loads of issues with the ILs. Gave birth to a healthy 8lb 5oz girl and the whole pregnancy woes were quickly forgotten.

This time round I am 19 weeks, very little sickness, easily controlled by eating little and often but even at that it stopped about 12 weeks. Not feeling as tired even though I have a 13 month old running around, who is not the best sleeper due to teething etc. Generally feel quite good. I'm hoping it lasts and now I know about the carpal tunnel I'm doing all I can to avoid it this time round.

My advice is, if you want another DC so strongly then don't worry about your last pregnancy as they are all different and if not its only 9 months of "misery" (for want of a better word) compared to the years of happiness from a child (bit cheesy)

lola0109 Sat 31-Oct-09 06:47:45

Oh and also SIL is also pregnant so all IL's attention is on her so I am free!

Makes for a happier pregnancy all round!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now