Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can anyone make sense of this - think uterus growing despite waiting to miscarry

(4 Posts)
BiscuitStuffer Fri 30-Oct-09 20:15:33

Scanned at 8+3 weeks and told foetus measure 6+1 with no heart beat. Conclusion: 'early embryonic demise'.

(I had been trying to feel my uterus deep inside my pelvis as I was worried that something was wrong and so was impatient to be able to feel something but couldn't. not surprising considering only 8+3 and scan results).

Currently 9+3 weeks (1 week after scan) and no miscarriage yet. I had another 'rummage' for my uterus this evening and I'm pretty sure that I can now just feel the top of it now which i couldn't before. My rummaging also caused some mild period pains which makes me think that i might be on the right track. It's not level with the pelvic brim - still very much inside as you would expect.

Can anyone shed any light?

BellasYummyMummy Fri 30-Oct-09 21:14:40

hi biscuit, i hope maybe they were wrong and the baby was just too small to find a heartbeat, but sadly your hormones can still cause your uterus to grow if the foetus hasnt survived. my first pregnancy we saw a heartbeat just after 7 weeks. I went on to 12 weeks and had some slight spotting so went for another scan. Turned out the baby had stopped growing a few days after the 7 week scan, yet on my 12 week scan my uterus and the sac had grown to that of 12 weeks. I had to have a D+C as my body clearly wasn't going to miscarry on its own.

Im sorry to tell you that and hope that you have better news.

BiscuitStuffer Fri 30-Oct-09 21:40:47

Hi Bella,

That's very interesting - I didn't know that, so that's very helpful. Thank you! That makes sense. I can't believe that they have made a mistake as they explained why they had come to the conclusion that they had and it all sounded very reasonable to me.

I am so sorry that this happened to you. Did you have any inkling before your 12 week scan? How awful. How did you find your D&C? did you have it under local or general?

BellasYummyMummy Sat 31-Oct-09 07:26:12

Around 8 weeks i noticed my symptoms went away, not that i had many to begin with, and i felt worried. But then after speaking to everyone and midwives and being told i had no cramping/spotting them everything was fine i started to have some symptoms again (in my head? dont know). It was an incredible blow when we were told the news, i didnt cope well as we had been trying for a long time and had conceived on fertility drugs. The D&C itself was fine, i was petrified but i had a general so was completely out, and felt fine when i woke up. Just took some time for me to heal emotionally.

I have had another miscarriage again around the same time but at the scan they couldnt find the heartbeat, so i was booked in to have a D+C but miscarried naturally a few days later.

Are you being called back for another scan?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now