Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What to put in Hospital Bag??

(16 Posts)
salvadory Fri 30-Oct-09 17:55:38

Stupid question maybe but I'm clueless as to what to put in the bag I take to the hospital. Has anyone got a definitive list please (I'm 31 weeks so time running out )

girlsyearapart Fri 30-Oct-09 18:11:11

Big t shirt/nightie that you don't mind throwing away after.

Front fastening decentish nightie for afterwards when visitors with cameras come.

Camera (charged/with film)

knickers that you don't mind chucking out.

Maternity pads (sanitary towels in mega format)

Old towel.

Slippers (again you may never want them again)

Clothes to wear home. Still maternity ones I'm afraid.

Newborn size nappies.

couple of outfits for baby- vest babygro hat mitts. Cardi and blanket for going home.

Muslin squares.

Cotton wool.(sometimes hospital give you that)

List of people for your DH to call/text in order. Also what to say if he needs prompting (BIL asked me what to text to people..)

Your notes.

Other stuff could be sweets for you, ipod, an easy to read book/magazine.

Taken ages for me to type so someone else probably given you better list by now!

Good luck smile

eggontoast Fri 30-Oct-09 18:14:16

Don't forget toothbrush/tooth paste. Nursing bra and breast pads for leaks.

PavlovtheWitchesCat Fri 30-Oct-09 18:14:30

also

Change for phone/charger.
Arnica tablets - to help healing internally and externally
flipflops for shower
dressing gown in case you are in for more than a few hours.

girlsyearapart Fri 30-Oct-09 18:20:21

oh yeah duh toothbrush.

ruddynorah Fri 30-Oct-09 18:20:21

if you're bothered..things so you can do your face without going to the bathroom. so like a little mirror and maybe cleansing wipes. just saves you having to wait for the bathroom if you need to freshen up. plus the bathrooms tend to be a bit erm..minging.

salvadory Fri 30-Oct-09 18:33:44

thanks all, I'm carving pumpkins to keep my brain off all of the baby pre planning I haven't done. This thread has been a great help

GuernseyFrench Fri 30-Oct-09 18:34:59

Also, some wet wipes and some make-up (mascara) just for the photos and if people come to visit (I know I'm a bit vain!)

CuppaTeaJanice Fri 30-Oct-09 18:47:33

Those 'Cool & Soothe' sheets that you stick to your forehead are good - saves all the faffing around with wet flannels.

Drinking straws make life easier.

Change for parking, and for the telly.

A gymball to use as a birthing ball - they are really cheap and that way you know you'll have one available and it will be the right size.

A tankini if you're planning to use the birthing pool - a bit warmer than a bikini and easier access than a one piece.

Easy to eat food - biscuits, bananas etc.

Hairbrush

Extra nighties for afterwards - you might be staying for a couple of days or more.

tassisssss Fri 30-Oct-09 18:50:18

maternity clothes to come home in
snacks and a magazine for dh in labour

good luck!

WidowWadman Fri 30-Oct-09 19:07:33

I put whatever I could find in the 15 minutes I had until the taxi to hospital arrived (I was 38+3). Hospital bag pre-packing is so overrated.

prettyfly1 Fri 30-Oct-09 19:30:28

nappies and bits for the bambino
socks in case you got the "chilly feet" thing right before delivery
a camera
a going home outfit
for baby, plus blankets, muslins and breast pads/ feeding bra
wipes to clean yourself down with
a jug for warm water (pour it down there after birth when you need to pee - lifesaver!!)
bottles and food if you are not going to bf.

BellasYummyMummy Fri 30-Oct-09 21:37:27

breast pads, i kept leaking all over the hospital bed. magazines- i was in for a few days and it can get lonely when baby is asleep and you have no visitors.
lipgloss as your lips can get really dry from gas and air.
sucky sweets as they dont let you eat anything incase you need a cs.
arnica tablets- i started taking them right after the birth and really helped heal down below
i've heard one of those fridge pack things are good for soothing but i never had one...

lola0109 Fri 30-Oct-09 22:09:06

I've never heard of the arnica tablets. Must remember them this time.

Don't buy disposable knickers, go to primark/matalan/asda etc and buy a load of really cheap cotton knickers for hospital and afterwards. More comfortable and can be tossed. (but get them in a huge size and granny pant style)

Someone also told me to take my own pillow, I had one in the car but was a bit embarrased taking it in, but DP got sent out for it before he went home on first night and I was so glad I had it.

Habbibu Fri 30-Oct-09 22:13:40

Vaseline - smear on baby's bottom before you put first nappy on. Makes cleaning off meconium so much easier! Get one of the wee tins and then you have lip balm and bottom cream in one...

RachieW Fri 30-Oct-09 22:15:09

Take more maternity pads than you think you need. When my waters broke they kept leaking so I'd used one of my two packs before I'd even had ds! I'd also second straws and some snacks for you and dh, I was allowed to eat up until a point. I took tracker bars oh and some juice cartons. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now