Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do I need to take formula milk to hospital?

(17 Posts)
1mum1 Fri 30-Oct-09 15:53:49

I've bought a few of those little aptamil cartons in case I can't feed straight away (though hopefully I will) - as my hospital have sent letters out to say they will not provide this any longer. Do I need to take a sterilized bottle in too? Sorry if daft Q - am just a bit confused.

LilyBolero Fri 30-Oct-09 15:54:56

don't take milk in if you want to b/feed. There's no reason why you shouldn't feed the baby straight away. And the hospital will NOT let the baby starve - honestly!

corblimeymadam Fri 30-Oct-09 15:58:12

Message withdrawn

MumNWLondon Fri 30-Oct-09 15:59:02

I agree provided you plan to breastfeed don't take anything. If you have trouble getting baby to latch on midwifes will help you - when i had my first child i needed help getting her latched on for the first few feeds.

if you plan to bottle feed then yes would need sterlised bottles and formula.

cakeywakey Fri 30-Oct-09 16:01:43

I don't think that there is any harm in taking it in as a back-up. Blimey, the NHS is really cutting budgets if they're not even going to supply baby milk anymore.

You will need to take a bottle in too. They should have sterilising equipment there.

And if you can't breastfeed straight away make sure that you aren't fobbed off when you ask for help - they can and should help you if you want to breastfeed.

They should have breast pumps too if you want to express - I only got to grips with BF after a fortnight and a couple of visits to the BF drop-in once I was home. But in hospital, I was able to express and then use a medicine dropper to feed DD.

Good luck with the birth and BF smile

sherby Fri 30-Oct-09 16:01:48

You don't need to take anything unless you are planning not to give any colostrum/breastmilk.

If you are the midwife and breastfeeding support will be there to help you smile

sherby Fri 30-Oct-09 16:03:08

They don't supply milk because in order to gain baby friendly status they are not allowed to supply artifical milk

It is not because of money

posieparker Fri 30-Oct-09 16:04:21

Don't take anything, you're unlikely to 'fail' bf in the first day! DH/DP can get some if you need it.

shonaspurtle Fri 30-Oct-09 16:08:56

They will have formula milk and bottles for people who can't bf or babies who can't bf. They just won't supply it to people who aren't bf through choice (and tbh, my hospital said this but I didn't see anyone refused).

ruddynorah Fri 30-Oct-09 16:10:05

also don't expect to be producing milk right away. you probably know this anyway, but it's colostrum first then the milk comes in about 3 days later..and you're normally at home by then.

sambo2 Fri 30-Oct-09 16:10:52

Personally, I would take a few cartons even if you are planning to BF. For me, after a 40 hour labour and a trip to theatre to get DS out, I was in no fit state to do anything! I was moved to the ward at 10pm and there were no midwives to show me how to BF. I struggled for hours and my DS got more fractious/hungry. MW took him away and gave him formula (without my permission angry). As it transpired he wasn't able to latch on (due to an underbite) so I subsequently EBF from a bottle once at home.

Next time, will take my own formula, bottle and a small pump so if the same happens I can ideally express into a bottle.

The hospital should have sterilisers (but with DC1 it was way beyond me to work out how to use them...I blame it on the heavy drugs hmm!)

PavlovtheWitchesCat Fri 30-Oct-09 16:12:23

it is my understanding that babies don't 'need' any milk for first couple of days, which will give you time for milk to come in. If, for some reason the baby needs milk in the meantime, for example, low birth weight, needs top ups, then they will provide it for you, bottle and all.

cakeywakey Fri 30-Oct-09 16:12:59

That's interesting about baby-friendly status Sherby - didn't know that smile

Slambang Fri 30-Oct-09 16:24:30

Can we ask why you dont want to try breastfeeding 1mum?

ruddynorah Fri 30-Oct-09 16:26:21

the OP says she is going to try

Abubu Fri 30-Oct-09 16:41:03

I was given formula in those little bottles where you chuck away the teat after you use it.

I didn't know if wasn't standard practice not to give formula if not breastfeeding?

Mind you DTS were in special care for a day and one had to be tube fed and the other was bottle fed before i even remember agreeing to this (birth notes said "Mum agrees to bottle feed" Must have been well doped up cos I don't remember saying this at all)

Anyway if you plan to bottle feed maybe it's worth taking some just in case.

1mum1 Fri 30-Oct-09 17:43:26

Thanks for your replies - so helpful and have put my mind at rest. Absolutely want to exclusively breastfeed - think I was just having a wobble of not being able to do it and poor little thing is then starving hungry! Might take the cartons as a back up but like you say, will just keep asking for extra help if I'm having trouble getting baby to latch on. Thanks so much for your help - am looking forward to it more now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now