Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What to wear leaving hospital?

(141 Posts)
bubbles8987 Fri 30-Oct-09 11:17:38

What is everyone planning to wear when they leave hospital after giving birth?

Lulumama Fri 30-Oct-09 11:21:28

you need a pair of maternity trousers/jeans, big knickers , loose top , you will still look about 5 months pregnant and you need to be comfortable. also your feet might be a bit swollen, so you need comfy shoes.

iwascyteenagewerewolf Fri 30-Oct-09 11:25:37

I had a long, stretchy dress with a baggy tshirt over the top. It was a close call between that and my pyjamas though!

goryminx Fri 30-Oct-09 11:25:57

White skinny jeans (size 8 natch), 5 inch labountin heels, cashmere jumper, and sunglasses.....

Not really...
Maternity jeans, new loose fitting top, and birkenstocks (was May)

grin

Pinkjenny Fri 30-Oct-09 11:29:33

I gave birth to dd in May, and I wore a long white t-shirt (H&M) with black stretchy maternity culottes (Mamas and Papas) and flip flops. Definitely maternity trousers, nothing that digs in or is uncomfortable. Something that you feel nice in, though, as the big knickers and maternity sanitary pad will not do a great deal for your self esteem wink

I am due to have ds in December, and will just be leaving in a warmer variation on the above.

Lobyd Fri 30-Oct-09 11:30:57

I wore my pyjamas...is that just me? Couldnt face forcing myself into anything tight..figured I looked dreadful anyway, felt on cloud 9 though!

MrsBadger Fri 30-Oct-09 11:31:34

hopefully the clothes I went in in, like last time
am not planning to stay any longer than is strictly necessary

bumpybecky Fri 30-Oct-09 11:32:43

shoes! don't forget shoes!

for dd1 I'd planned a homebirth, had to transfer in hurry, forgot to take any shoes! felt very silly when I left in fluffy slippers blush

Northernlurker Fri 30-Oct-09 11:35:20

You may have photos taken so you might want to wear something you're happy to look at yourself in for the next 50 years. Also you may be paler than usual - lack of sleep and/or blood loss etc - so pick a colour that won't make you look like death warmed up if that's the case. Comfy, dark coloured trousers or skirt, cardi or jumper because hospitals are hotter than normal life and you will feel the chill. Maybe a nice scarf for this time of year - something pretty that makes you feel fab?

Trikken Fri 30-Oct-09 11:36:24

anything that you feel comfortable. dont try to put any trousers on that fitted pre-maternity, as it will do nothing for your confidence. think this time it may be pj's. I'll only be going form hosp to car-car to house, unlike last time where i wanted to go shopping, but i dont really advise that.

MrsBadger Fri 30-Oct-09 11:54:31

make people who are taking photos take them in balck and white

if you are pale (likely) and the newborn is purple (also likely) you will both look much better in b&w.

Northernlurker Fri 30-Oct-09 11:57:06

Black and white photos - genius idea! I wish I'd thought of that with dd2 - she is purple and I'm not pale - I wish - flushed as a beetroot!

sambo2 Fri 30-Oct-09 16:15:37

I bought a maternity bump belt on leaving the hospital as I was shocked/horrified/hadn't even thought about the post baby bump bulge which was SO heavy! I needed the heavy duty elastic to support my middle!

Also, I gayly packed a favourite t-shirt to wear on leaving hospital and overlooked the small issue of breastfeeding...so next time, I will go home in a breastfeeding top!

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Fri 30-Oct-09 16:19:26

When I had ds I purposly went out and bought myself something new.
Wasn't expenxive was just dark stretchy yoga pants in a bigger size and a nice new t-shirt.
When i'd had dd my maternity stuff wasn't comfortable afterwards and I felt a bit yuck so when ds came along I was prepared.
It was nice to get into something new even if it wasn't that stylish after my last shower before I left hospital.
My mum also very thoughtfully brought up with my going home bag some lovely comfortable but pretty pants for me to wear and I felt much fresher and nicer that time than the time before.

aWitchForLifeNotJustHalloween Fri 30-Oct-09 16:22:35

some clever bugger told me to wear maternity trousers after dc1 - what hideously bad advice that was. I had to hold the trousers up rather than the baby grin We obv do not all look 6 months+ pg when leaving hospital. with number two and three I had the experience and good sense to pack normal (non-maternity) jog pants. Agree about the remember the shoes advice. Unless of course you live in our neck of the woods and it's the done thing to walk the streets in your tartan pj's and ugg boots hmm In that case you just need to remember to pack some Enormous hoop earrings instead grin

Bettymum Fri 30-Oct-09 16:32:00

I would add, don't lose your shoes. There's a very nice pair of Nike Pegasus somewhere in the maternity unit of Royal Berks. Can't remember what on earth I wore on my feet to leave hospital, maybe my slippers? I think I wore leggings and a sweatshirt to go home in. To be honest I could have been wearing a sack I was just so excited to be going home with my baby girl .

ruddynorah Fri 30-Oct-09 16:38:23

gosh couldn't have come out in what i went in wearing, trousers were totally soaked with my waters!

dd was 4 years ago. i came home in a brown velour tracksuit i wore in pregnancy. wasn't maternity but was a bigger size than my normal.

this time (due in a week) it'll be joggers (again, bigger size) with maternity vest and jumper.

heliotrope Fri 30-Oct-09 16:41:50

god knows what I wore. And who really cares!

IControlSandwichMonkey Fri 30-Oct-09 16:42:29

I forgot to take shoes (homebirth transfer) and dh forgot to bring some for me. He'd also already taken my slippers home. Wore black jogging bottoms, black t-shirt and barefeet. Was May.

heliotrope Fri 30-Oct-09 16:49:42

god knows what I wore. I didn't really care and nor did ds!
Just baggy stuff I think.
I still came out green in B&W photos, if that is possible!
All I can remember is the pain of sitting and trying to feed when I got home - had to get two cushions and position my tender bits between. Learning to bf lying down from the start was a good idea.
Also I felt very weak for a couple of days, I know some people just bounce back but I felt like a truck had hit, and people don't really understand that as you look pretty normal. I had a long labour and hadn't slep for about a week so maybe that contributed.
I make it sound like hell but I was over the moon.
Sorry seem to have strayed from your question completely. Am newly pg again and seem to be recalling all the details of labour all of a sudden!

Anifrangapani Fri 30-Oct-09 16:52:30

First time - Pair of posh jeans and high heeled boots.... just about made it out the door before collapsing

second time - very comfy jogging bottoms

whomovedmychocolatecookie Fri 30-Oct-09 16:52:46

I wore a big winter coat over my PJs blush

Mind you it took four trips to get everything into the car (had been in a while) grin

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Fri 30-Oct-09 19:29:24

My midwife once told me never to let your DH pack your hospital going home bag.
SHe asked her dh to bring in her clothes when she had her first.
He brought: a blouse, a jumper, tights, underwear and her boots no skirt grin
She was thankful that it was winter and she had gone in to hospital wearing a long coat so she put on all he had brought and went home skirt less.

iwascyteenagewerewolf Fri 30-Oct-09 20:37:45

Congratulations on your pregnancy heliotrope I was very weak too for the first few days - labour was knackering and I hadn't had much to eat as could barely sit down due to terrible postbirth piles

TombliBOOOOOObs Fri 30-Oct-09 21:03:22

Wish I had read a thread like this before I came out of Hospital. grin I echo northernlurker's advice, I looked so pale I was almost deathly and a white top really didn't help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now