Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Healing after a C-section

(21 Posts)
TheBlairSnitchProject Thu 29-Oct-09 11:27:24

I got a horrid infection in my C-Section wound after having my DS and ended up with an open, puss filled, red and angry, gaping hole!

Am due to have another Section in about 7 weeks time (elective this time) and wondered if anyone could suggest some good tips or products to help make sure the same doesn't happen again?

Baby is due a few days before Christmas so I may not have the luxury of a walk-in center and antibiotics this time!

I've heard of Arnica cream but I'm not sure what it is or what it does....

mistletoekisses Thu 29-Oct-09 11:36:46

I was told that to get full benefits of arnica, you need to take the 200c strength tablets available from places like ainsworth. The cream is great for kids / adults for bumps/ bruises but you need the full on tablets to help with healing after surgery.

You start taking them asap after the op, think every 4 hours or so.

I have no idea with they contributed to my recovery, but touchwood I had a fantastic recovery after elec cs and plan to get them again for next delivery.

TheBlairSnitchProject Thu 29-Oct-09 11:41:11

Thanks misteltoe. I did not expect to have a section last time so I was woefully unprepared for one. Want to get it right this time. Will keep an eye out for the tablets.

TheBlairSnitchProject Thu 29-Oct-09 11:42:52

I've heard of Lavender oil & tea tree oil for baths too to help healing...?

mistletoekisses Thu 29-Oct-09 11:50:24

I dont know if I am talking complete rubbish, but I think from memory I was advised against baths immediately after the surgery. A simple wash and making sure the area is nicely dry, followed by rubbing of natural oils after a while (helps scar to heal flatter apparently), I carried on using my mamma mio tummy oil I had used during pregnancy. worked a treat.

TheBlairSnitchProject Thu 29-Oct-09 11:52:57

Yes, baths did strike me as quite a scary option too!!

asuwere Thu 29-Oct-09 17:14:02

My scar opened a few hours after the CS (about an inch) and was seeping lots of fluid. Never got any infection or anything but MW did advise to have baths with lavender oil so I assume it's fine if it was recommended for me! Some good advice, if you mix a few drops of oil in a little milk before putting it in the bath, it helps it blend, otherwise it just kinda sits on the top of the water!

asuwere Thu 29-Oct-09 17:15:34

Oh, forgot to say, if you do have baths, remember to be careful getting out - don't just pull yourself up! Turn round and get up on your knees! Sounds kinda obvious but after you've relaxed a bit in the bath, you may just forget you've had some major surgery and it could hurt!

TheBlairSnitchProject Fri 30-Oct-09 08:45:29

Mine re-opened because of the infection! My nice, neat line developed two quite large holes in it which oozed yellow goo (sorry TMI)

Will do anything to stop that happening again. It was bad enough when I just had DS but this time I will have DD and an almost 3 year old DS and will need to be on my feet a bit quicker!

TheBlairSnitchProject Fri 30-Oct-09 15:57:18

bump to see if there are any other hints...

TheBlairSnitchProject Fri 30-Oct-09 19:34:29

Anyone have any other suggestions for lotions/creams etc which will see off infections and help with healing?

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Fri 30-Oct-09 19:40:28

I put lavender oil in the bath and was religious about patting the scar dry. I also laid on the bed naked to ensure it was totally dry <paranoid>

Agree about getting out of the bath carefully, and probably avoiding it and having showers for the first few days.

I also went for a small walk every day (starting on day 2) as increased blood flow to a wound helps it to heal.

But don't overdo it, ensure you give your body an optimum time to heal smile

TheBlairSnitchProject Fri 30-Oct-09 19:45:57

I should think DS will ensure I don't spend too long on the sofa

DH will be taking a couple of weeks off work again and will Xmas holidays added on, we might even get to 3 weeks will him at home which will be nice.

Is there anything like Lavender oil that I can use in the shower - without making it too slippy obviously...

IControlSandwichMonkey Fri 30-Oct-09 20:00:52

Get up and move around as soon as possible. Little and often, try not to stoop and hunch over as you walk.

I was probably very, very lucky in that I was discharged after 12hrs (em cs) and needed no painkillers at all. Was back to normal very quickly. I didn't use any lotions or potions, just kept the area clean and went for a little walk/did light housework every day.

TheBlairSnitchProject Fri 30-Oct-09 20:04:13

I'd had pre-eclampsia and lost a lot of blood during the section so they kept me in for days. I'm hoping I can be out quicker this time..

I'm sure it's cleaner at home!

I had a huge overlap of saggy flesh after the section, (and for 2 years afterwards ) maybe that was what stopped the healing?

KnackeredOldHag Fri 30-Oct-09 20:08:51

Take it nice and easy for the first few weeks, air the wound as much as possible. If you do start getting a bit of weeping I was told to use a bit of Sudocrem or Savlon cream (but not too much) - I had my wound opening a small amount which hurt like hell and that helped. I also had something called a "Caesarean belt" which had various packs you could put inside it e.g. an ice-pack. This helped with the pain after the first week.

KnackeredOldHag Fri 30-Oct-09 20:10:40

Oh and the support knickers you can buy (the ones that hold your tummy in) I found helped me to walk upright easier without holding onto the wound all the time.

TheBlairSnitchProject Fri 30-Oct-09 20:18:33

Could you suggest some support knickers knackered? I've seen some post pregnancy ones but assumed they'd be too tight?

Would they not stop the air circulating though?

KnackeredOldHag Fri 30-Oct-09 22:01:24

I just got some from M&S. I didn't use them all the time and found the nice, big loose ones better for example when I was having a lie down, but they were useful or when I started walking about a bit more as they stopped that feeling of "oh my insides are going to fall out".

TheBlairSnitchProject Fri 30-Oct-09 22:07:14

Right, will get myself some. I guess a size or two too big??

KnackeredOldHag Fri 30-Oct-09 22:56:35

Yes.

Good luck. If its of any help I think your second section is easier than the first (you know what to expect which makes a huge difference).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now