Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Eczema flare in pregnancy - advice!

(8 Posts)
MummyToucan Wed 28-Oct-09 21:16:59

Hi all,

I've chronic eczema - usually well controlled but since getting pregnant this time it's been awful. I feel like the itchiest women alive. I'm doing all the usual - oilatum baths, diprobase all the time. I'm having to use Elocon (potent steroid) now and again just to keep me from tears but also have Eumovate (moderate) which is pretty useless but better than nothing.
Does anyone have any other tips for what helped/is helping them? I'm trying bathing every night, am going to bed earlier to max out on sleep and trying to eat well etc but would be really grateful for some pregnancy friendly ideas to help the flare. I'm only 17 weeks so not even half way through - thanks!

ilovegreenbeans Wed 28-Oct-09 22:09:34

I really feel for you- I remember things getting a lot worse when I was pg with dd. This time around, it hasn't been too bad, if that gives you any hope!
It sounds like you're doing all you can. I'd say don't worry about occasional steroid cream use if it helps get things under control/keeps your sanity. Also, are you possibly bathing too much? Once a day might be drying for your skin. Can you also try a humidifier for the bedroom while you're sleeping?
Hope it gets better soon. I seem to remember it easing at some point.

MummyToucan Wed 28-Oct-09 22:21:08

Thanks ilovegreenbeans - will try the humidifier. I am forgiving myself for a bit of steroid now and again. A bit of mumsnet sympathy and support helps too - thanks!

katkit Thu 29-Oct-09 13:52:15

Hello,

Really sorry to hear about your eczema. It sounds like a bad bout I had a few years ago. I suffered terribly all my life but am better now, thanks to making several changes. I am going to go on a bit now, sorry, it’s just that some things have saved me from utter eczema misery! Also I remember what a dermatologist told me:

Allergies- will the GP prescribe a skin allergy test? I had one and for me it was fragrance, which is in almost everything. So, the more I washed and used creams, the worse it got. This is a very common allergy and hard to pinpoint without a proper test or eliminating all fragranced skin products, washing powders, cleaning products and air fresheners. (Although lots of the stuff you mentioned is free of fragrance, innit).

Washing- the worse my skin was, the more I felt I should wash and use creams. All the while this was only making it worse. Perhaps showering once a day in warm water only, with the minimum of products (eg ‘simple’ stuff) will help?

Washing powder- I changed to ‘Surcare’ (seen it in Sainsbury’s), which is very gentle. Apparently Ariel is very bad for skin! As is fabric conditioner.

Steroids- I was once given a strongish steroid cream which also contained an antibiotic, because the ezcema got infected. Perhaps this would help you too?

Stress- I going through a terrible time at home, and all the drs told me that it was caused by stress, which I didn’t believe. But when my situation improved, the eczema stopped. Hard not to be stressed when covered in eczema and pg though.

I was given a bottle of moisturiser to try and I know everyone’s different, but for me it was nothing short of a miracle, I wish everyone knew about it as it makes skin lovely too. (Better than clarins, Clinique, e45, all the rest put together). It’s called Exomega and it’s from a French range called Aderma. Hard to find in shops but easily got online, eg: http://www.essentialslondon.com/product/1179.aspx . A bottle lasts a long time.

I hope that some if this might help you too, and apologies if you know all this, as it sounds like you have been suffering for some time.

1mum1 Thu 29-Oct-09 14:03:50

I have had it all the way through on my hands, legs and feet. My GP was telling me yesterday that Diprobase is really just an emollient and she prescribed me 1% hc cream. Hopefully this will get rid of it soon.

My tips are: mine gets worse when overheated so I always cool the area completely under the cold tap first before applying cream. Also I never apply cream if it's in an itchy stage. I wait until it's not feeling too bad as it then isn't agitated by the cream.

Hope this helps x

MummyToucan Sat 31-Oct-09 20:42:59

Thanks again - good tips and nice to feel not the only itchy pregnant lady around!

sh77 Wed 04-Nov-09 00:23:04

Hi
I suffer from eczema but found that it totally cleared up in the 3rd tri.

In my second preg though, it flared up on my face and arms and has been awful. Heat makes it worse as does e45. I think anything with lanolin in the product makes it worse and makes it feel hot. I only resort to eumovate mixed with emollient if i can't stand it any longer.

Have you considered alternative therapies. Homeopathy worked a treat for me and it isn't too expensive. I had Chinese herbs years ago, which had an amazing effect when my eczema was at its worst.

MrsJamin Wed 04-Nov-09 06:28:19

I could have written this a month ago! I got so itchy I couldn't sleep. The things I did which helped were:
- trying only to shower when smelly! Perhaps showers are better than baths?
- changed from a normal shower gel to Dead Sea Natural Black Mud Mask Soap
- changed any moisturisers to Aveeno Skin Relief Lotion with Shea Butter
- changed from bold 2 in 1 to Simply Sensitive Eco-Smart Non Bio

I'm not sure which made the difference but I've stopped itching completely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now