Talk

Advanced search

7 wk scan, no yolk sac, no foetal pole, just a sac...

(25 Posts)
aliwally Wed 28-Oct-09 20:12:00

Has anyone been in this situation and gone on to have a healthy pregnancy?

I'm 6 weeks 6 days today, but all they saw was an empty gestational sac (no yolk sac, no baby) but they've said to come back in a week as "all is not lost". The sac had grown since my scan the week before. How can something develop now? Has this ever happened to anyone out there? I've been told by the Dr not to lose hope.

I'm looking for similar stories where all was NOT lost. This is my 7th pregnancy (6 mc's already) so as you can imagine I'm pretty upset.

Thanks all - advice much appeciated.

BarakObamasTransitVan Wed 28-Oct-09 20:58:19

Gosh, Ali, I posted today about a very similar scan that I had on Monday here.
I don't feel terribly positive about my own pg but that's because I'm so sure of certain key dates. Could you be 5+ weeks rather than 6+ maybe?
Fingers crossed for the two of us though - especially with your Dr saying not to lose hope. smile

aliwally Wed 28-Oct-09 21:39:55

Hey Barak - thanks for your reply. Just looked at your post. Amazingly similar. Just researched and found that apparently the sac has to measure 16mm before they can diagnose a m/c. So, it could just be that we're having to wait and grow enough for them to do their job of diagnosing correctly (and maybe my Dr was just trying to manage my emotions by suggesting keeping positive so as not to send me away feeling even more low)- or there couod be some hope. Like you, I'm looking for real similar stories rather than "aww huns" - so thanks. Be good to hear about your scan on Monday.

madmissy Wed 28-Oct-09 22:06:41

had the same with dd2 and had a long 2 week wait obviously she was still there smile i hope that you have a positive outcome like i did

Prinpo Wed 28-Oct-09 23:21:19

Hello, I went for a scan at what I thought was a little over 6 weeks. They found a sac but nothing else. I convinced myself I'd miscarried. I had another scan a week later and there was a heartbeat! Apparently, my dates were out and an extra few days can make a real difference at such an early stage. I can't say for sure that all will be well as I'm still in the first trimester but I had yet another scan today and the heartbeat was still there. I know what a very stressful time it is having to wait so my thoughts are with you. I really do hope you get a good result when you go back - please let us know.

aliwally Thu 29-Oct-09 07:20:00

Madmissy and Prinpo - thanks so much for these words. I can't tell you how much better I feel .... even just to get me through the next week. Great news for both of you. Fingers crossed for everyone. Barack - hope this helps you too.

Will keep you posted.

bigpreggybelly Thu 29-Oct-09 09:30:50

I'm sure a 7 week scan won't show much anyway, hang on for the 12 week one.

BarakObamasTransitVan Thu 29-Oct-09 10:05:00

ali - this all helps me, too - so thanks everyone. I'll update you on Monday.

thehuntress Thu 29-Oct-09 10:30:20

Same thing happened to me like Prinpo. I went in for scan at what I thought was 6 weeks. I was pretty sure on my dates. They saw only sac. Went back a week later, and there was bub and heartbeat.

I know it is tough to wait that week, but there is hope. Hang in there.

aliwally Thu 29-Oct-09 19:00:57

wonderful stories - thanks to you as well thehuntress for sharing your experience. Who knows what's nestling in there. It's just so hard to have hope when everything's so unclear and you're so sure of your dates. There's no way I'm out by anything more than a couple of days - I'm such a 28-day-er. So, the least I could have been yesterday was 6 weeks + 3 or 4 days .... something really should have been seen. Ah well, let's just wait and see. Thanks all.

fifitot Thu 29-Oct-09 19:16:48

The dates can vary because of how long it might take the egg to implant. A few days can make the difference.

aliwally Thu 29-Oct-09 19:25:14

Thanks fifitot - all good sensible advice - very much what I'm looking for. Cheers.

aliwally Sun 01-Nov-09 19:02:49

Hi Barack - just a note to say I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. All the best. Ali.

BarackObamasTransitVan Mon 02-Nov-09 17:56:32

Well Ali - I had my scan this morning and it's all very confusing. I was fully expecting the sonographer to say there was nowt there. But she found a foetus with a CRL of 8.9 mm and a heartbeat! No yolk sac though - although this might have been hidden. Apparently it was a technically tricky scan - so she did an abdo as well as a TVS.
I have to say I still don't feel like I'm out of the woods yet - I should feel elated I suppose but it was such a shock. I still have so many questions but the clinic was ridiculously busy and I'd only really prepared myself for asking about what to expect with a miscarriage.
It's bizarre is all I can say!

ClaireDeLoon Mon 02-Nov-09 18:25:36

stalker alert

Barack that's great news, I'm so very pleased for you. I hope it all goes OK from now on in - you certainly deserve an easy few months after the last few weeks.

aliwally Mon 02-Nov-09 22:07:46

Wow how amazing - god that's such good news. So pleased for you and thanks v much for the update. It's just amazing - how can it be? I can totally appreciate your confusion but go with it and get used the idea that you DO have a foetus with a heartbeat! Go girl!!

madmissy Mon 02-Nov-09 22:13:51

thats superb!
when i had gone back after a two week wait with dd2 i was actually ahead of dates!? go figure!

anyway great news!!!

thehuntress Tue 03-Nov-09 10:07:02

wonderful news! I'm so happy that they saw the heartbeat. I think that's the most important thing.

aliwally Wed 04-Nov-09 20:16:37

well, it's all over for me I'm afraid. Having an ERPC tomorrow. Just want it behind me now. The sac had grown again but still nothing in it - 8 weeks tomorrow so this really is it. Sorry to share bad news. I'm 41 in December so really wanted this to work. I plan to lose some weight, get fit and avoid turning to booze .... need to keep a lid on it with party season approaching soon. Thanks for all support and all the best to you (esp good luck you Barack.

madmissy Wed 04-Nov-09 21:24:35

oh ali i am so sorry to hear this sad
lots and lots of luck for future

extremelychocolateymilkroll Wed 04-Nov-09 22:58:30

Sorry to hear this. Just to let you know that I had a similar experience after having IVF when I was 41. Then, 3 months later I had a natural conception and am currently 25 weeks pregnant. Best of luck.

BarackObamasTransitVan Thu 05-Nov-09 11:33:57

I'm so sorry, Ali. Thank you for the best wishes - please look after yourself.

aliwally Fri 06-Nov-09 12:31:25

Thanks for messages madmissy & extremelychoc (lots of luck with your pregnancy) and Barack, take care and maybe we'll hook up again online somwe time. Am feeling quite positive today and ready to move on and sort myself out for another go. Maybe it's the anaesthetic high, but at least I'm not lying in my own snotty tears just yet! That'll probably happen tomorrow. Best of luck everyone - I'll be back. x

madmissy Sat 07-Nov-09 10:04:55

Take things slowly on yourself ali and so much luck and best wishes for the future for you

sh77 Sat 07-Nov-09 14:43:47

Ali so sorry you are going through this. I am in the same boat and the wait to find out has been very painful. I have my 2nd scan on monday but my hcg levels dropped so that is confirmation enough. I hope you heal.

Barack - really pleased for you. Best of luck xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now