Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Worrying myself sick about having eaten liver and pate before i knew i was pregnant - anything i can do?

(18 Posts)
whattheheck Wed 28-Oct-09 17:40:06

didn't realise i was pregnant until 5 weeks (now 10 weeks) - a bit of a surprise - reckon had eaten chicken livers at least 3 times and pate 3-4 times (we had a lot in the house). Really worried. Is this the worst time to have eaten it? Will any defects show up in the 12 wk scan or not til 20 weeks? Anything I can do - havent touched it since

SCARYspicemonster Wed 28-Oct-09 17:43:10

You're fine. The reason is because of the possibility of you getting listeria and you would have been ill long ago so relax

fiziwizzle Wed 28-Oct-09 17:44:13

You can stop worrying. You and the baby will be fine!

whattheheck Wed 28-Oct-09 17:44:14

thankyou scary but isn't there a prob with too much vit A though too?

SpookyAlice Wed 28-Oct-09 17:45:55

I don't know, but if it is any consolation, i drunk my own body weight in Sambucca when i was 4weeks pg (didn't know of course) and was really worried. Also ate chocolate mousse made with raw eggs loads in that week. The Dr was really unconcerned about the whole thing.

I think it has something to do with risk of Listeria and that it can cause mc if you get it, but i think you become very ill from listeria anyway.

When my mum was pg with me she ate liver and bacon at least once a week to help with her iron levels and i'm ok (sort of wink)

Totallyfloaty35 Wed 28-Oct-09 17:46:13

Dont panic,Scary is right,you are fine.In France they eat all the stuff we in UK are told not to through whole pregnancy and they think we are crazy with our Food cutbacks.

SolidGhoulBrass Wed 28-Oct-09 17:47:31

Please don't worry. There is practically no likelhihood of you having done any hamr: most of the dietary, etc advice given to PG women has less to do with their actual wellbeing, more to do with controlling their behaviour and making them submissive and obedient.

corblimeymadam Wed 28-Oct-09 17:48:35

Message withdrawn

Oblomov Wed 28-Oct-09 18:18:49

agree with floaty, the french eat it all the way through their pregnancies. they think we are very odd. please don't worry.

woowa Wed 28-Oct-09 20:37:52

peanuts are now safe - see the food standards agency website. Hooray!

ErikaMaye Wed 28-Oct-09 20:41:39

Two days before I found out I was pregnant I was totally smashed out of my head - and had been for three days previously - and slid down a banister. Not to mention the amount of soft boiled eggs, pate (OH MY GWAD I miss Pate!!!) brie, goats cheese and basically everything else I'd eaten.

I'm due in two and a half weeks.

Congratulations, and seriously, don't panic. When I asked my midwife she said to me, "Oh sweetheart, do you have any idea how many people are pissed in those first few weeks?!" grin

MumNWLondon Wed 28-Oct-09 20:58:43

Stop worrying or even thinking about it further? I ate liver in each pregnancy, not a lot but was served it at someone's house and no reason to say no.

No point in worrying now about listeria as you'd know, and re: vit A well I think you'd have to eat a lot of it to cause a problem.

ErikaMaye Wed 28-Oct-09 22:41:00

Oh, and remember that they used to advice eating liver a while ago

UnrequitedSkink Wed 28-Oct-09 22:48:51

My science is a bit hazy, but am fairly sure that at that stage the embryo is still floating around and not even recieving nutrition from you (I am right aren't I? The placenta doesn't form until about 6 weeks?) so there'd be no chance of anything passing from you to the baby anyway.

whattheheck Thu 29-Oct-09 11:21:55

thank you for all reassurance, it's just that i ate a lot of pate in the couple of weeks before conception (My dad turned up with some delicious stuff and of course I wasn't expecting to get pregnant...) Fear I have lots of vit A stored in me as a result as well as the liver I was eating once a week (am weird person who likes it)
Know there is nothing I could have done - wasn't planned pregnancy - but is really preying on my mind.

doggiesayswoof Thu 29-Oct-09 11:38:29

Forget about the pate - it's about the risk of listeria and if you'd had that, you would know.

Info on vit A

here

Quote from the link

"Signs of toxicity usually appear only after sustained daily intakes exceeding 50,000 IU in adults. These doses are more than 10 times higher than the RDA and usually cannot be obtained from foods, except by the ingesting large amounts of liver or fish liver oils which are especially rich in vitamin A."

So really, don't worry! It does say "sustained daily intake". Even if you had ingested "large amounts" of liver any risk would still only be very small.

whattheheck Thu 29-Oct-09 11:54:18

thank you so much for that doggie....much appreciated

doggiesayswoof Thu 29-Oct-09 12:07:17

You're welcome. Hope you enjoy your pregnancy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now