Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is sonographer right or mid-wife?

(6 Posts)
stellamel Wed 28-Oct-09 15:57:46

Had a growth scan last Monday (31 weeks), so hard to see anything as not much room now grin. Anyway sonographer said baby was head down - which didn't give me much comfort as it still felt like he was tap dancing on my cervix. However on the Friday the midwife had a good feel and said baby was still head up, and she got me to feel, and it did feel like a head.

So who's likely to be right? or has baby turned the wrong way up again. Have started to do the kneeling thing to try to get him into the right position, should I stop, will he turn back if he is head down?

I get lots of movement low down that feels like feet, and always have a dull ache under my diaphragm from what I assumed was baby's head.

any thoughts?

mistletoekisses Wed 28-Oct-09 16:07:01

Sonographer without a shadow of a doubt was correct on the Monday. They wouldnt be that wrong when looking at a scan. But it is entirely possible that the MW was also right as the bub could have turned by the friday. They can keep shifting positions right until the end.

The only thing I would say is that 'feeling' for bum or head is notoriously unreliable. My SIL DS was breech and MW's were certain that nephews head was in fact his bottom.
My DS was also adamantly breech - sonographer had scanned the day before and confirmed. A very senior MW then felt the following day and was certain he had turned. He hadn't.

LissyGlitter Wed 28-Oct-09 16:16:19

My DD was apparently head down for weeks, and all through her 14 hour labour, until I got to 10cm and they could suddenly tell she was a girl from an internal. I would trust the scan, midwives can't tell properly.

MumNWLondon Wed 28-Oct-09 21:24:41

Scan is much more accurate but baby can turn. If midwife is still worried later on they can do another scan.

KnackeredOldHag Wed 28-Oct-09 21:36:16

DS1 was transverse but I had several scans where they put down his position as head down. Sometimes I think they work on autopilot. It wasn't until I got to 37 weeks and said to the midwife "listen I KNOW this baby is sideways on, I can feel his head on my side" and she looked at my bump and said "yes I think you are right, the bump is the wrong shape", I then had another scan where they confirmed he was sideways on. If there is any doubt I'd insist on another scan and get them to point out the positioning to you.

thisisyesterday Wed 28-Oct-09 21:40:11

def the scan! on the scan they can see the baby, but it can be very hard to tell what is bum and what is head on palpation.

as others have said though, baby may well have turned

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now