Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

EPU scan in 2 days... what to expect?

(6 Posts)
Ladyemmalou83 Wed 28-Oct-09 13:16:14

I am sure these are silly questions, but I really dont know what to expect.

Will it be an ultrsound or an internal scan?

Will I have to drink lots of water to help get a clearer picture, or is that only on the later scans?

Will I have blood tests along with the scan?

Hope some body can help
Em 6+4

Ladyemmalou83 Wed 28-Oct-09 13:17:09

Forgot to say Its at the Early Pregnancy Unit, had some complications over the last 2 weeks

napa Wed 28-Oct-09 14:44:06

I had scans at epu at 6, 7, 8, 10 and 11 weeks. The first scan I had was both abdominal and trans-vaginal. For the abdominal bit I needed a full bladder. Once they had done the scan I had to empty my bladder for the internal scan.
In the abdominal scan I saw the gestational sac and a blob in it. On the internal scan I could a flicker of a heartbeat in the blob.
I didn't need to have any blood tests.
Good luck, hope it goes well.

DuelingFANGo Wed 28-Oct-09 14:49:26

If it's an early scan they will most probably ask you to empty your bladder and it will be a trans vaginal scan. At six weeks you will probably be able to see something and they should be able to see something but it is a bit early so they may ask you back for another scan in a couple of weeks when there's more chance of a heartbeat etc.

Pingpong Wed 28-Oct-09 14:53:29

most places will try the least invasive type of scan first so go with a full bladder expecting an external scan.(1L of water an hour before hand). If they can't see beanie then they will ask if you are happy to have an internal scan, to empty your bladder and they get a chaperone. It is mildly uncomfortable but not really anything to worry about. They slip a condom with lots of lube on it over the probe and are very gentle. You are given a sheet to drap over your legs and the mw keeps her eyes pretty much on the screen.
You may be asked to give a blood sample to monitor your hcg levels.
GL the early days of pregnancy can be so worrying.

Ladyemmalou83 Wed 28-Oct-09 14:56:26

Thank you both for responding, I'll go prepared with full bladder and then offload it if I need to (and I'll do full leg and bikini line just incase-I know they are use to seeing it, but its a bit wild there at the mo blush. I hope they will see a heartbeat, but I know its early and it might not be visible just yet.

Thank you both x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now