Talk

Advanced search

Nearly 37 wks, high bp combined with health anxiety and panic attacks. Talk some sense into me please!

(13 Posts)
corblimeymadam Tue 27-Oct-09 09:31:59

Message withdrawn

puffylovett Tue 27-Oct-09 09:34:37

<hits belgianbun with wet fish>

Consider yourself duly slapped.

If it's any consolation, my consultant told me that high BP can equate to a fast easy labour. Mine was 6 hours with a diastolic of 95 grin, active labour recorded as 2.5 hours.

corblimeymadam Tue 27-Oct-09 09:36:35

Message withdrawn

pinkfizzle Tue 27-Oct-09 09:45:16

Hey Belgianbun you can beat this - I think it is normal not to sleep at 37 weeks pregnant.

Try get as much rest as you can - and remember the more rested that you can be for labour then the easier it might be for you.

Think of a good luck mantra - like my baby and I will be fine and dandy through labour and say that to yourself when you feel panic attacks come on.

Sending you vibes of rest and calm smile

corblimeymadam Tue 27-Oct-09 09:57:51

Message withdrawn

corblimeymadam Tue 27-Oct-09 11:08:38

Message withdrawn

katster37 Tue 27-Oct-09 11:26:19

Belgianbun <<hugs>>. I fully sympathise with the health anxiety, and I have also had CBT for it - in fact, during this pregnancy until a couple of months ago. Try to remember what your practitioner told you. Would it help to make a 'worry list'? Or whatever you used before to help combat negative thoughts?

I am absolutely bricking it about the labour too, but everyone I know has reassured me that it is all worth it, and I am willing to believe them. I am avidly listening to my hypnobirthing CD, I don't know if something like that could help?

corblimeymadam Tue 27-Oct-09 17:19:00

Message withdrawn

millyme Tue 27-Oct-09 20:01:16

I have the same phobia as you and am 17 weeks with my first pg. Managed (somehow!) not to be actually ill w the morning sickness but am now TERRIFIED of not being able to stop myself being sick during labour. And am scared that the midwives won't understand the real trauma of a phobic reaction and underplay it / tell me not to be silly. Had some CBT years ago -- do you think I should have more before the birth? Anyway, hope you're feeling ok now... I really do know how you feel and it's awful isn't it xxx

corblimeymadam Wed 28-Oct-09 09:07:42

Message withdrawn

pinkfizzle Wed 28-Oct-09 09:30:22

Hope everyone is feeling better today.

milly I agree with belgianbun if you note it on your birth plan and get your partner to have extra copies to hand, and also put the plan with your notes then I think they will take it seriously and be sensitive.

I am going to note on my birth plan that I have been sick through out my pregnancy - funny although I don't have a phobia per say - I didn't know that you could get an anti-sickness injection.

What helped me was giving up reading of any mumsnet threads that went into graphic detail about birth - or listening to any horror stories, I think the hypnobirthing or calming relaxing music and trying to get as much rest as is possible - is the way to go. I am in some kind of denial presently, considering that my labour could start any day. I am calling it my head in the clouds coping mechanism.

Good luck everyone!
smile smile smile

millyme Wed 28-Oct-09 17:36:54

Guys, thank you so so much! This is the first time I've ever talked about my phobia to someone who understands it and it is just such a comfort to hear your kind words and advice. I am going to tattoo "ANTI-EMETIC PLEASE" across my forehead (and DH's) before the birth!
Belgianbun I think you're amazing and strong for putting up with this rotten phobia every day for the sake of your dd. It's so exhausting being scared all the time, I know, pg or not. But your immune system will be loads stronger than hers (plus we phobics know a thing or two about hygiene don't we!)so I'm sure you won't be unwell.
Much love xx

corblimeymadam Wed 28-Oct-09 18:10:44

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now