Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Nearly 37 wks, high bp combined with health anxiety and panic attacks. Talk some sense into me please!

(13 Posts)
corblimeymadam Tue 27-Oct-09 09:31:59

Message withdrawn

puffylovett Tue 27-Oct-09 09:34:37

<hits belgianbun with wet fish>

Consider yourself duly slapped.

If it's any consolation, my consultant told me that high BP can equate to a fast easy labour. Mine was 6 hours with a diastolic of 95 grin, active labour recorded as 2.5 hours.

corblimeymadam Tue 27-Oct-09 09:36:35

Message withdrawn

pinkfizzle Tue 27-Oct-09 09:45:16

Hey Belgianbun you can beat this - I think it is normal not to sleep at 37 weeks pregnant.

Try get as much rest as you can - and remember the more rested that you can be for labour then the easier it might be for you.

Think of a good luck mantra - like my baby and I will be fine and dandy through labour and say that to yourself when you feel panic attacks come on.

Sending you vibes of rest and calm smile

corblimeymadam Tue 27-Oct-09 09:57:51

Message withdrawn

corblimeymadam Tue 27-Oct-09 11:08:38

Message withdrawn

katster37 Tue 27-Oct-09 11:26:19

Belgianbun <<hugs>>. I fully sympathise with the health anxiety, and I have also had CBT for it - in fact, during this pregnancy until a couple of months ago. Try to remember what your practitioner told you. Would it help to make a 'worry list'? Or whatever you used before to help combat negative thoughts?

I am absolutely bricking it about the labour too, but everyone I know has reassured me that it is all worth it, and I am willing to believe them. I am avidly listening to my hypnobirthing CD, I don't know if something like that could help?

corblimeymadam Tue 27-Oct-09 17:19:00

Message withdrawn

millyme Tue 27-Oct-09 20:01:16

I have the same phobia as you and am 17 weeks with my first pg. Managed (somehow!) not to be actually ill w the morning sickness but am now TERRIFIED of not being able to stop myself being sick during labour. And am scared that the midwives won't understand the real trauma of a phobic reaction and underplay it / tell me not to be silly. Had some CBT years ago -- do you think I should have more before the birth? Anyway, hope you're feeling ok now... I really do know how you feel and it's awful isn't it xxx

corblimeymadam Wed 28-Oct-09 09:07:42

Message withdrawn

pinkfizzle Wed 28-Oct-09 09:30:22

Hope everyone is feeling better today.

milly I agree with belgianbun if you note it on your birth plan and get your partner to have extra copies to hand, and also put the plan with your notes then I think they will take it seriously and be sensitive.

I am going to note on my birth plan that I have been sick through out my pregnancy - funny although I don't have a phobia per say - I didn't know that you could get an anti-sickness injection.

What helped me was giving up reading of any mumsnet threads that went into graphic detail about birth - or listening to any horror stories, I think the hypnobirthing or calming relaxing music and trying to get as much rest as is possible - is the way to go. I am in some kind of denial presently, considering that my labour could start any day. I am calling it my head in the clouds coping mechanism.

Good luck everyone!
smile smile smile

millyme Wed 28-Oct-09 17:36:54

Guys, thank you so so much! This is the first time I've ever talked about my phobia to someone who understands it and it is just such a comfort to hear your kind words and advice. I am going to tattoo "ANTI-EMETIC PLEASE" across my forehead (and DH's) before the birth!
Belgianbun I think you're amazing and strong for putting up with this rotten phobia every day for the sake of your dd. It's so exhausting being scared all the time, I know, pg or not. But your immune system will be loads stronger than hers (plus we phobics know a thing or two about hygiene don't we!)so I'm sure you won't be unwell.
Much love xx

corblimeymadam Wed 28-Oct-09 18:10:44

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: