Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

i just cannot snop SNEEZING in this pregnancy its driving me insane! feel like I'm allergic to everything!

(9 Posts)
pregnantpeppa Mon 26-Oct-09 21:18:25

Not sure what is going on but I feel like I've got incredibly bad allergies - don't know what I might be allergic to though. Might be dust as its worse in confined spaces - has anyone else suffered this and do you know what you can take for it? Its like the worse hayfever I've ever had all the time!

corblimeymadam Mon 26-Oct-09 22:22:22

Message withdrawn

ohnelly Tue 27-Oct-09 09:21:41

Hi Ive had this for a few weeks - I didnt think anything of it until I saw your post! I just assumed I was getting a cold but it never developed into much! Some actually hurt unless I hold my bump! Im nearly 18 weeks now. I have no idea what you can take for it though sorry - maybe ask at the chemist?

blonde36er Tue 27-Oct-09 10:18:30

I'm the same...I think it could well be persistent non-allergic rhinitis...

www.patient.co.uk/health/Rhinitis-(Persistent).htm

Josie22 Tue 27-Oct-09 10:31:17

I have this too (20+6). Started about 4 weeks ago but seems to be easing off now. Freaked me out at first as the sneezes seemed to pull muscles I didn't even know I have. I told the midwife but she couldn't really offer any help as can't take any medication. I think using the tissues with the balm in helps though as they seem to produce less dust than normal tissues (which can worsen situation!) plus means you don't end up looking like Rudolph.

MrsDmamee Tue 27-Oct-09 11:35:59

OMG its not just me....ive been sneezing nonstop now for about 3 weeks,(im only 6 weeks pg) no cold, but i can smell everything..smelled flowers from upstairs DH had hidden in kitchen for our anniversary, and now they are outside i couldnt stop sneezing

i suffer from allergies normally but this is just ridiculous, i have to hold myself for every sneezesad hope it stops soon

pipWereRabbit Tue 27-Oct-09 11:42:22

When I was pg with DD1, my hospital was conducting a survey into the effects of pregnancy on the sinus membranes of women, apparently there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that women can be sneezier, snufflier and generally snottier during pregnancy.

roary Tue 27-Oct-09 11:51:32

It is indeed Rhinitis of Pregnancy and it is a Real Thing - not just you imagining it! It has to do with the increased supply of blood to the vessels in your nose.

I am being driven insane by this, especially as it is much worse if I wake in the night. My husband has moved to the guest room rather than have to listen to me try to stifle my sneezes and noses blows. Sneezes are violent and they pull my muscles!

I don't think there's anything you can do (there is for stuffiness, saline irrigation works well) but not for the sneezies. You would not believe the number of tissues I've gone through already.

Same thing happened in my last pregnancy and it went away straight after birth. I then found myself with a massive stockpile of tissues and the strange sensation of clear breathing at night.

pregnantpeppa Tue 27-Oct-09 22:50:05

Thanks for the replies, sorry I went to bed after I posted last night and forgot to check until now - I am glad I am not the only one and it is a pregnancy symptom rather than some terrible sudden allergy but not glad there doesn't seem to be anything I can take for it. The sneezes are so violent aren't they! ACHOOO
Josie22 thanks for the tip about the balm tissues, often blowing my nose first thing in the morning sets me off for about 2 hours so maybe it is the tissues, I will try the balm ones - anything!
Belgianbun- yes pelvic challenges are another side effect of the sneezing, proud of my pelvic floor muscles as despite the violence of the sneezes have not yet wet myself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now