Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

High calorie food suggestions

(7 Posts)
funtimewincies Mon 26-Oct-09 17:42:17

An odd request, I know, but please bear with me.

I'm 35 weeks pg and have a stomach the size of a walnut! It's becoming clear that I'm not manging to eat enough to sustain me through these last weeks while my baby piles on the ounces. Every week I go to the supermarket fully intending to stock up on stodge, don't fancy anything, and come away with the usual shop.

A bit of background...
I've always been one of the irritating people who finds it easy to control their weight, mainly because I can only eat when I'm properly hungry or really fancy something. It's quite normal for me to forget to eat and easily skip mealtimes if not careful. Normally this isn't a problem, unless I miss a couple and then I get light-headed and nauseous.

Unfortunately, this is how I now feel all the time and, because my stomach is so squashed and all food and drink causes heartburn, I'm getting no where near enough calories. The baby is fine but I feel grim sad. When I've mentioned it to mws and the like (I have one ds and had a similar problem in his pg), they look at me like I've lost the plot and just say 'eat little and often' which is sensible advice but doesn't address the problem which is that I can only eat when I'm in the mood.

I like the odd cake, but I'm not a big eater of sugary or high-calorie things, so I'm after some suggestions as to what I can eat, where I'd only need a small amount to get a good calorific and nutritional boost.

Soup sometimes works, but can't be eaten on the go. I also don't live in a part of the country with fast-food outlets every hundred yards. It sounds like I'm just being a picky eater, but it's becoming a real problem as I've no energy to play with ds.

blametheparents Mon 26-Oct-09 17:47:22

What about energy bars that athletes / runners eat.

Or flapjacks, they are qite high in calories

Twit Mon 26-Oct-09 17:49:56

how about cheese on everything? Use butter and cream in sauces etc. Mini mars bars if you fancy something sweet.
Nuts?

funtimewincies Mon 26-Oct-09 18:41:03

Oooh, I hadn't thought of nuts. I'm using butter and full-fat milk already to try and sneak some extra fat in that way. Do you mean cereal bars blametheparent (forgive my ignorance)?

I'm desperate to build up some fat stores as I lost all my pg weight plus an extra stone within weeks of giving birth to ds and had real trouble bf'ing as a result.

I'm sorry, this must be really annoying for people who are struggling the other way, people keep telling me that I'm lucky to look so neat but it wasn't so humorous when I could get straight back into my jeans but had no milk for ds sad.

leedslassy Mon 26-Oct-09 18:45:06

I think lots of cheese is a good idea. put it on everything - pasta, mix into sauces, grill it on toast, top lasagne and bolgnese with it, just eat it on crackers or in chucnks on its own if you dont fancy a meal

blametheparents Mon 26-Oct-09 18:49:38

My DH eats these when he is triathlon training.

Pretty high in calories - 350cals per 100g, but not full of saturated fat which can be bad for you no matter how 'thin' you are.
Full of carbs and protein.

colditz Mon 26-Oct-09 18:50:45

chocolate
Cheese
Peanut butter

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: