Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Absolutely huge at 11 weeks due to fibroids!

(17 Posts)
ClaireVictoria Mon 26-Oct-09 17:35:48

Hello. I am 11 weeks into my first pregnancy and ecstatic about it. However even I guessed something was astray when, within 8 weeks I did a really good impression of Violet Beauregarde.

The midwife informed me I was measuring 20 wks at 8 wks, and no (a scan showed) it is not twins. 3 weeks later and I am even bigger thanks to my 3 resident fibroids; Tom, Dick and Harry, all weighing in at around 8-9 cm each! Oh and apparently it looks as though Dick is growing with my pregnancy which is just fine and dandy!

Is there anyone else out there pregnant with the added airbags called fibroids? Or has anyone been pregnant with them? What can I expect? The mind boggles!

MummyAnnabella Tue 27-Oct-09 13:26:46

hi - i had at least 3 fibroids during pg and they were similar in size to yours. they grew during pg and shrank a bit after. really just led to a bit more discomfort and lots of worry from my doctor about their position.

had to have c section as one blocked my cervix so baby could never have come out. that was the only major thing though.

Tillyscoutsmum Tue 27-Oct-09 13:35:35

Hi

I have fibroids. When pg with dd, I had one of 12 cm, one of 8 cm and around 6 others about 3-5 cm's each. I was massive shock

If its any consolation, the growth did slow down in second trimester so I luckily didn't keep expanding at the same rate.

I was told during an early consultant appointment that they would be "amazed" if I got beyond 32 weeks because they thought there wouldn't be enough space for baby. We were expecting a tiny preemie baby and out "popped" dd, on her due date weighing almost 10lb shock

I am now pg with dc2 and the fibroids have shrunk a bit from last time but I was measuring 20 weeks at 12 weeks but am now "only" measuring 38 weeks and 33, so it sort of catches up iyswim ?

Anyway - I could waffle forever about fibroids (how the winter night's must fly by grin). So any questions, please ask. I'd also be happy to share pics of my comedy bump to make you feel better if you like smile

bubblesincambridge Tue 27-Oct-09 13:35:53

I've got one - 4 cm picked up during first scan - it hasn't got any bigger since though

MummyAnnabella Tue 27-Oct-09 13:42:20

oh forgot that bit - my 1st baby did come 7 weeks early due to the fibroids and no 2 came 2 weeks early. think it is common so if in a lot of pain later on do get it checked out as it may not just be "the usual aches and pains of late pregnancy" as my doc said but in fact early labour!

Firsttimer7259 Tue 27-Oct-09 15:51:30

I have at least 5 fibroids, 2 about 8cm across andthe other 3 about 5-6cm across. Before getting pregnant my uterus measured 12 weeks. I am still quite a lot bigger than average and if I had a penny for everyone who says'you sure thast not twins'...grrr (sooo sick of that)

Much depends on where the fiboids are and what they will do during pregnancy. Some of mine are blocking the baby's way out. They will be checking as I get furtehr along whether I can have a vaginal birth. Mine were not any bigger at the 20 week scan and I am now coming up to the first of my additional scans to see whats up before the birth.

I had some red degeneration a few weeks ago, wouldnt wish that on anyone. I was in hospital on morphine for 5 days - excruciating. But now I am fine again and I was fine then, just had this awful pain in my side. And the baby is fine too.

I dont know, I was crazy with worry early on. This baby is much much wanted. But have decided for some time now to just get on with it and concentrate on how I feel physically rather than that I have fibroids. I am fine, very big but fine and everything else we will deal with as we get there. You have a while to go before things get difficukt so dont ruin this bit of your pregnancy with worry. It wont make any impact on what will happen anyway. theres no way to predict if you will manage to go to full term or if you will go early and if so how early. We will certianly have a glass of champagne at 32 weeks (because then I think she will make it) and mentally I find I tick off the viability dates 24 weeks, 28 weeks etc.

In terms of what to expect from your health care folks. I got a session with a consultant to explain it all to me. She scared the beejaysus out of me going throguh every possible thing that could go wrong. But then its just sit tight and see what happens. Closer to the birth I expect the consultants will make a decision about what to do with me in terms of caesarians etc. I have 3 extra scans lined up to monitor whats going on in there.

I dont know how they can be sure one of yours in growing this early on...? What did they have to compare it to? My pre pregnancy scanes were seen as too long ago to use as a point of comparison.

Mainly I would sa: think positive!!!

Tillyscoutsmum Tue 27-Oct-09 16:41:28

Firsttimer - I just wanted to say that I felt exactly as you describe first time round. Consultant gave me worst case scenarios and I remember not even beginning to believe dd might actually be "real" until about 30 weeks. I didn't buy a single thing - just in case. She was also much wanted and came after numerous mc's and a very painful and horrible pregnancy (I had degeneration as well).

Anyway - as you can see from above - all was well. This time round the fibroids are much less on my mind iyswim.

Good luck anyway smile

Firsttimer7259 Tue 27-Oct-09 18:39:58

hey tillyscoutsmum,
You made me feel so much better when I posted on here about fibroids in early pregnancy a few months ago. I was so freaked out that I was going t squash my little baby. Thank you - it really helped.

ClaireVictoria Wed 28-Oct-09 10:24:16

Hello all, Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I feel so much better now, knowing that I am not the only one and what I am going through is not that unusual. It all initially felt rather daunting and slightly overwhelming as this is my first pregnancy and I am already an older mum-to-be with loads of other stuff to worry about if I let myself!

Off for a scan this afternoon so will know more them.

I did do an amazing therapy shop yesterday as I was fed up with Blouses stretching, ruching and rising, train track ripples between my boobs and buttons popping in inappropriate public places, and lets face it 24 hr sweatpants at 12 weeks is not really a direction one should follow just yet!

The above was also compounded by mates who repeatedly stated "ooh I didn't show until around 5 months" "Aren't you big!" ... like I didn't know! and my favourite was a weekly advice slot in another website for week 12 "Your baby is growing at a tremendous rate and you may start to 'show' now as your womb becomes too large to fit within your pelvic cavity." had me laughing my head off as I outgrew my pelvic cavity the moment franck's sperm eyed up my egg!

I am sure I will have a thousand questions to ask after the scan results.

Thanks again for putting my mind at ease.

Firsttimer7259 Wed 28-Oct-09 11:52:03

Go you on the shopping! Continuing to feel like I look good has really helped me deal with all the 'arent you huge' comments. I am not huge, I have a huge bump...! I am not usually all that touchy about weight but am astonished on how people seem to feel they have the right to comment on me now.

Having a big bump has its benefits. People generally feel confident that you are pregnant not just overweight, so they are kind to you. Taxi drivers carry my bags, people offer me seats on public transport. Thats actually really nice - makes me feel cared for by society at large, not ofte that you feel that way.

ClaireVictoria Wed 28-Oct-09 17:24:02

Yipppeeee.... scan showed all was well and fine with baby so now I feel like I am officially pregnant and don't have to (try to) hide it anymore. I am through the first trimester so can tell people "yes" when they eye up my belly bulge!

Apparently Dick and Tom have remained the same size but Harry the sneaky back burner bugger, resting on top of my uterus, has grown 2.5 cm and now measures 10.5 x 9cm, hence why my right rib is so sore.

Franck put it a really good way to me when I was trying to get my head round it . He said to imagine three larger than large tennis balls all squashed into one coat pocket, now add another. Suddenly it made sense and I have a nice way to explain to others what was going on with my massive "no its still not twins" bump.

But today is all about the baby not T,D & H.

Yippeeeee I am going to be a mum

Ohhh and I really like the sound of those big bump benifits! I am off out in my new clothes for a spicy Thai.

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 28-Oct-09 18:26:09

Yay grin Glad everything went well with your scan. My biggest one was on the top of my uterus as well - makes for some interesting pains and hideous heartburn - but on the plus side, its well out of the way of the exit route and placenta etc. so shouldn't affect things too much

Enjoy your shopping grin

ClaireVictoria Thu 29-Oct-09 19:17:22

Cheers it was ace to see the baby bouncing around.
Did you find that your ribcage was really uncomfortable? Sometimes I just have to lie down as sitting seems to compound the pain! I am going to be such a wuss with the pain... sometimes I feel like the 45 degrees woman as I am always leaning to my left to try to ease the pressure on my right rib. I also seem to adopt a weird Forrest Gump mouthing the letter O face, which, when I catch myself frozen in this position in public, is really not cool at all. My Year 9 students are going to have a field day!

Glad it's not blocking my exit route - you are right this really is a good thing. XC

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 29-Oct-09 19:24:12

Yes - ribs were really sore and I had a lot of issues with breathing because my lungs were really squished up. Again, looking on the bright side, by the time you've endured all the hideous aches and pains that come with it, labour should be an absolute breeze (10lb baby, TENS machine only and I am the world's biggest wuss, I promise you smile)

ClaireVictoria Fri 30-Oct-09 11:50:50

10lb ... now that is rather on the large side! Well done it nice to hear I might still be able to have a natural birth ... though I may change my mind nearer the date (hmm) Was it a boy/girl? Were they not squashed a little from the fibroids?

ClaireVictoria Sat 31-Oct-09 09:19:32

OMG .. got the boobs measured yesterday as needed new bras .. 38F!!!! What's all that about? Somehow the fibroids are fading into the background in terms of ridiculously sized parts of my body!! :0

ClaireVictoria Sat 07-Nov-09 16:10:22

OK spent the last week in pain perhaps the fibroids cannot be ignored. A little scared of just how painful they could get in the future but at least I know baby is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now