Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

BHCG levels- am i pregnant???

(9 Posts)
BabyDancer83 Mon 26-Oct-09 13:29:21

Hi, Saturday morning i called an ambulance and went to A&E because i have a horrible cystitis/kidney infection with a fever of 39.3!! and i felt like i was dying. They asked me if i was pregnant and i said that its not impossible (we're ttc and did it on the right days at the right time etc). Seeing as im still not due my period for about another week, its too early to do a test, so they did a blood test to look at my BHCG levels. The doctor told me it was positive with 9.9 he actually said that its 'high' and could even be twins! so gave me drugs that are safe to use in pregnancy.
Sorry this is so long.
Yesterday i went to a different hospital's A&E because i was feeling worse still, told them my symptoms and that i was 'pregnant' and they told me to go to the gynacology emergency room. There, the obstetrician told me i wasnt pregnant, that 9.9 doesnt mean anything, its really low, and its too early to tell. So we went back to the general A&E where they did another blood test and the result was 14 BHCG level (which is about right if its supposed to double every 2 days). I throw up every now and then, but it could be my fever. Now ive been looking on the internet and different sites tell me different things, i dont understand anything. Am i pregnant or not?

ILoveStripeySocks Mon 26-Oct-09 13:32:15

I think pergnancy test detect a level of 10 or above. Have you taken a test yourself?

BabyDancer83 Mon 26-Oct-09 13:37:47

no i havent because im only 3 weeks my period is due this week, so i was waiting to see if im late, and lots of people say if its too early that the home urine tests come up very faint.

mears Mon 26-Oct-09 13:38:01

The main issue here is getting your infection treated properly. You should be starting to feel better if you are on the correct antibiotic. Has a urine specimen been sent? Have you contacted your own GP now? Concentrate on getting better first then diagnose pregnancy. Do a test at home.

mears Mon 26-Oct-09 13:39:03

Should have said best probably to wait till past due date of period.

PacificWerewolfwoohood Mon 26-Oct-09 13:41:23

Bloodtest for bHCG is positive if >5. Like you said should double every 48 hrs or thereabouts.

I think congratulations are in order smile, but try and avoid doing a urinetest before your period has been late.

Good luck.

PacificWerewolfwoohood Mon 26-Oct-09 13:42:38

Oh, and hope your urine infection clears up quickly, too.

BabyDancer83 Mon 26-Oct-09 13:46:37

I know thats the thing, they didnt know which antibioic to give me depending on whether i was pregnant or not. The doctor who told me i was pg prescribed me monuril, the doctor who told me im probably not pg said monuril is not strong enough with such a high tempurature and prescribed me an anti-biotic which is safe to use whilst pg, which i must take for a week and by then might be able to do a test too!

BabyDancer83 Mon 26-Oct-09 13:51:04

I have to say they were both very good doctors, i just dont know who to believe when its a bit of a second opinion situation
Thanks for your replys mumsnetters

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now