Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

paracetamol during pregnancy

(17 Posts)
redblue Mon 26-Oct-09 13:12:47

I think i know the answer to this one - its no, right? I cannot take paracetamol or asprin or anything for a headache. Sorry for the boring question but yes or no would be appreciated
ta

Miia Mon 26-Oct-09 13:14:19

Paracetamol is fine in small doses.

Iklboo Mon 26-Oct-09 13:14:57

You can take paracetomol - it's one of the few things the pharmacist/doctor would recommend - as long as you stick to the dose or less if you can

redblue Mon 26-Oct-09 13:19:56

thanks my head is absolutely thumping but I have resisted taking anything for a couple of days now i might take a low dose paracetamol this afternoon thanks again

BlueChampagne Mon 26-Oct-09 13:22:51

Yes paracetamol
No asprin, ibuprofen etc.

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 26-Oct-09 13:24:13

My Gp once told me the only things absolutely safe in pregnancy are the 2 Ps -- paracetamol and penicillin.

Rubyshoos Mon 26-Oct-09 13:25:14

Hi Redblue
My head was thumping all weekend (see my thread 13 weeks preg and blinding headache) I finally gave in after grillint the pharmacist at my local branch of boots on the pro's and con's of Paracetamol. I took them and whilst I felt a little better I'm not cured completely but I've since spoken to my Obstetrician and he ok'd the paracetamol - they are fine.

Rubyshoos Mon 26-Oct-09 13:25:46

Sorry I meant grilling the pharmacist!

PacificWerewolfwoohood Mon 26-Oct-09 13:26:02

You can take Paracetamol at normal adult doses whilst pregnant ie 1g 4 times daily if necessary.
As others have said, avoid all antiinflammatories.

Hope your head is better soon.
Drink plenty of water in case is dehydration headache?
Also get blood pressure and urine checked if it does not improve.
smile

ThisCharmingFlan Mon 26-Oct-09 13:27:05

I was prescribed a hefty dose of co-codamol while PG so paracetomol must be ok! Hope you feel better soon.

Iklboo Mon 26-Oct-09 13:29:13

Can't remember - is lavender OK or not? If so a coulpe of drops of lavender oil on a hanky can help relax you and ease the headache a little. If not a warmish hot water bottle on the back of your head/neck area can dilate the blood vessels and help ease it too

redblue Mon 26-Oct-09 13:29:25

thank goodness for that. i know i am in trouble when a early night to bed and a reasonably good number of hours sleep does not result in a headache disappearing. I have been drinking water like crazy but that hasn't helped. it is useful to hear some people have spoken to obstetrician / gp and they say low doses are ok. obviously better to avoid taking anything if you can but how many days should you try to ignore an endless painful throbbing just behind your eyes.

mears Mon 26-Oct-09 13:30:28

Definitely can take paracetamopl in the normal adult dose. Small doses will not make your head better smile

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 26-Oct-09 13:32:12

That is really good advice Pacific. When I was pregnant (and also b/fing) I had a constant headache, and it was totally down to dehydration.

sockmonkey Mon 26-Oct-09 14:05:47

Have you tried that 4head stuff?
I am always a bit cautious about taking pills while pregnant. I used this though & it was pretty good.

PootleTheFlump Mon 26-Oct-09 15:41:09

Paracetamol is absolutely fine. I was given it regularly in hospital at 17 weeks for 3 days. Better than being in pain/not being able to rest etc.

mollybob Mon 26-Oct-09 18:50:53

Definitely safe and important for anyone who has to take medication to not get grief or guilt from anyone who has managed to do without. I am on all sorts for hyperemesis but it's keeping me out of hospital so I know I have to keep taking it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now