Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.
36 weeks pregnant and breech baby(9 Posts)
hi i am 36 weeks pregnant and my baby is breech am seeing midwife tomorrow and she has said if still same will have to go hosp to try to move him. am a little worried as not sure how they will do this and also been told by friends that if unsuccesfull will book me in 2 weeks time to have a c section please help.
Doctors may try to turn the baby using ECV This website explains how it's done.
There are also things you can do to try and turn the baby yourself. This site is very useful.
You will not necessarily be booked in for a section if you don't want one - discuss with your midwife and doctor at the hospital.
Don't worry too much - there is still time for the baby to turn, especially if you follow some of the tips for getting into a good position
My situation was the same as yours although I declined to have an ECV. Turned out that I had something called Oligohydramnios which is when you run out of amniotic fluid so my ds would never have turned anyway. I ended up with a c-section and it was totally fine - I was up and about very quickly and the whole thing was a breeze (although I knew no different as it was my first baby!) Good luck and try not to worry x
apparently getting on all fours is a good way of encouraging a baby to turn.
I have seen them try to turn a baby, they literally try to manhandle the baby from the outside and push it round. It can cause distress to the baby and the mother and tends to lead to a c-section anyway.
I looked into this with ds3 as he was breech quite late as well,although I cannot claim any medical knowledge.
I told my midwife that I would rather have an elective c-section than try to have him moved-although in the end he turned himself.
I had two caesarians because both my children were breech. They tried to turn the first one but it did not work. It wasn't painful, just a bit unpleasant.
I did not mind the Caesarian the first time but had my heart set on a natural birth the second time, so I was disappointed then, but not for long. After all what's most important is that the baby comes out safely...
It might be worth finding an acupuncturist. A friend of mine had her breech baby turn the same day as she had acupuncture at 35 weeks. There are very specific points they work on so you need someone really experienced. Good luck.
DD (my 1st) was born as a breech baby at home with IMs. It was a decision we thought long and hard about and not one we took lightly, but for us it seemed the right way to go.
"Breech Birth" by Benna Waites and "Breech Birth: What are my options" by Jane Evans are both very informative. As is most things written by Mary Cronk that come up with google.
One of the things that drove our decision was that the research used to promote CS for breech babies is very badly flawed - to the point most of the authors agree it should be discounted. More recent studies found that, as long as you have the right risk profile and HCPs experienced in breech birth, vaginal birth is slightly safer than CS for breech babies.
Everything we found seemed to back this view up - vaginal breech birth isn't intrinsically dangerous (c/w a CS). Vaginal breech birth with a MW or Dr who doesn't know what they're doing is.
Once we'd decided to use IMs and were comfortable with that decision we were happy to decline an ECV and decline a CS - you don't have either procedure. Even though DD managed to turn into a footling breech and weighed in a 9lb 12, I probably had one of the calmest and most peacful births of anyone I know. The MWs were very much of the Mary Cronk school of breech birth ("hands off the breech"!) rather than the more medicalised model that hospital Drs are likely to be familiar with. If it had been a choice between a medically managed breech birth (on my back, in stirrups, in theatre, cast of thousands, episiotomy, forceps) I'd have been booking the CS like a shot. Incidentally, if you want to know what your options really are within the NHS its worth reading up on different types of vaginal breech birth and talking about it with the head of midwifery - some PCTs still have clusters of MWs with very good breech birth skills, they just may not advertise them.
We didn't talk to IMs till I was about 34 weeks, and didn't sign up till 36 weeks. We still got two lovely ladies that we gelled with very well who had a lot of breech experience - if its a course of action you're interested in its worth talking to them. If money's a concern they can be very flexible on payment (many will happily take payment in kind or work out installment plans), and most will be more than happy to offer general advice on what your options are without being bound to follow the NHS party line.
How to bring a breech baby into the world is only an easy decision if you're prepared to follow the policy of your PCT without asking too many questions (which usually means having an ECV and/or a CS). Otherwise its incredibly difficult - none of the options are risk free and you can only make the best choice for you and your family at the time, based on the resources availble to you.
thank you all for the replies really helped me alot.
Bettyboo not sure why your midwife has said you need to go to hospital to try turn him - surely this is your choice? I chose not to with my DD after reading about it. Although I was disappointed at first about missing out on a natural birth once she arrived I couldn't care less how she got here. If you want to try go for it but don't feel pressurised into it.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.