Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Act now to protect your entitlement to childcare vouchers!!

(10 Posts)
WorkingMummyyy Sun 25-Oct-09 17:48:22

The Government recently announced plans to quietly withdraw the tax relief on childcare vouchers, which means basic rate taxpayers will lose out on about £900 a year. If you think they should think twice before penalising working parents, please please please sign the official petition at http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/keepvouchers. Even if childcare is the last thing on your mind at the moment, if you're ever likely to use any nursery, nanny, childminder or out-of-school care then these plans affect you! In fact, you're more at risk than people who've already got a child, because their vouchers will be protected for a little while. Tell all your friends and family - there are 54,000 signatures so far and every extra one helps!!

BarakObamasTransitVan Sun 25-Oct-09 18:15:36

Bumping. This tax relief is extraordinarily important - and removing it is going to mean big losses for working parents (like me).

Issy42 Sun 25-Oct-09 21:28:26

Just to add for currently pg women, if you sign up for them before April 2011 you keep the tax and NI benefit until 2015. So if, like me, you were going to be better off not using them in the year following maternity leave, you may wish to recalculate. Not sure what happens if you change employer though, presume you lose the benefit.

Ewe Sun 25-Oct-09 21:32:55

The best thing to do to try and protect your entitlement is to vote for anyone but Labour in the next election! It is their policy.

butterscotch Sun 25-Oct-09 21:35:10

I use them and they make a big difference to my Child Care bill smile

Issy42 Sun 25-Oct-09 21:37:25

Perhaps Ewe, but given the only alternative likely to get in is Conservative, for whom I would never vote after the appalling job of public services they made last time, there aren't many options out there.

anniemac Mon 26-Oct-09 12:10:58

Message withdrawn

Ewe Mon 26-Oct-09 12:38:01

Apparently not, I asked my local Tory MP and he said that they have no plans to scrap them. Which kinda fits with there ethos, it benefits the rich more than the poor so imagine they will keep it.

I have already signed the petition, I just suspect they don't pay much attention to them!

mylovelymonster Mon 26-Oct-09 12:43:47

Is this where you put aside an amount from your salary each month, before tax, which goes through a third party to pay for childcare?
(not heard it called childcare vouchers so am a bit confused...)

henryhuggins Mon 26-Oct-09 12:56:24

yes that's what it is - what do you call them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now