Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Chicken Pox

(6 Posts)
woowa Sat 24-Oct-09 16:27:45

I have had chicken pox, and am 24+2. Does this mean there is no risk to me or baby if I am around people who have been exposed? A friend has just cancelled a visit to me because her DSs were exposed, but I'm sure it doesn't need to be this way. Any advice?

stuffitllllama Sat 24-Oct-09 16:29:43

chicken pox immunity is different from other immunity as the varicella stays in the body (hence shingles later)

beyond that I don't know

you certainly should be immune to chicken pox so that should not be an issue but whether or not shingles could be an issue I don't know

i'd check the nhs website

LunaticFringe Sat 24-Oct-09 19:16:46

Message withdrawn

Egg Sat 24-Oct-09 19:18:47

I think I read today (my DS1 has chickenpox at the mo) that if you do get shingles whilst pregnant it is of no danger to the baby (but prob not much fun for you...).

hobnob57 Sat 24-Oct-09 20:17:52

You're definitely in no danger from chicken pox. I've checked this out twice with my midwife - at 33 weeks when a pupil I teach got it and last week at 37 weeks when my daughter got it.

Those with children who have chicken pox are advised to avoid exposing them to others in case they don't have immunity - it can be a serious illness in adulthood, especially for those in early pregnancy where foetal development can be affected, and the immuno-compromised, elderly and infirm.

Yes, shingles is just a re-emergence of your original chicken pox infection and can't be caught.

woowa Sun 25-Oct-09 13:21:12

Thanks - my friend said that it was the risk of shingles she was keeping away for. I think she's going to ask her MWtomorrow (as she is also pg) - however if her son gets it, they won't be visiting anyway, of course! Poor little ones sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now