Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tens Machine

(17 Posts)
Ayumi Fri 23-Oct-09 22:41:35

Hi,

First post, so sorry if this is in the wrong section

Can anyone recommend a Tens machine?
Have been looking at Elle Tens vs Obi Tens but can't find a comparison.

thanks

Ayumi

MrsCurly Fri 23-Oct-09 22:51:05

I just rented one from Boots and it did the biz

corblimeymadam Fri 23-Oct-09 23:02:48

Message withdrawn

Bubbaloo2 Sat 24-Oct-09 09:18:48

I bought one from Boots, and now able to use it for my 2nd baby due in a couple of weeks. Was very good.

meep Sat 24-Oct-09 09:34:35

I rented from Boots as well - as MrsCurly said, it did the biz!

Longtalljosie Sat 24-Oct-09 10:03:17

I rented from Mothercare - it was the Mamatens iirc. Get them to send it in good time if these postal strikes continue!

sambo2 Sat 24-Oct-09 12:39:37

I used the Elle Tens (I think I bought it from Baby Tens on line??) - was £70 and figured that 2+ babies and I would get my money back!

Worked a treat for early labour - very good distraction.

Good Luck

beautifulgirls Sat 24-Oct-09 14:35:23

I have the Elle Tens, bought it new on ebay. Like Sambo I figured for 2+ babies it was cheaper to buy than to keep renting. About to use it for my 3rd baby, and have loaned it to a couple of friends in the mean time too. Found it easy to use with good instructions.

owl13 Sat 24-Oct-09 18:08:15

I've borrowed a TENS machine from the hospital where I'll be giving birth. We were told to use them for an hour with two pads on the lower back every day between now and labour (I'm 38 weeks + 4). Is this really necessary? Worth doing?

tassisssss Sat 24-Oct-09 18:11:58

I liked the one you can rent from the pharmacy at Tesco. Small and light, boost function, belt clip, the one I got on 2 sep occasions was always brand new. The did a longer/more relaxed loan period and you could return to the shop (where I knew I'd be!) rather than have to post it. And you get clubcard points!

mummyofthomas Sun 25-Oct-09 11:41:19

Hi ya I bought the obi tens for my first birth and found it to be very good, not sure how effective it was at actual pain relief but was a very good distraction if anything, mind you i was induced so was all a bit extreme and quick might be much more effective for completely natural labour, I will be using it again for my second labour in march. bought it for £45 ish from mothercare so for two births I think its quite good value for money.

bubblesincambridge Mon 26-Oct-09 13:54:48

Do they work?? How far in advance do they need to be ordered, if renting?

corblimeymadam Mon 26-Oct-09 13:59:39

Message withdrawn

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Mon 26-Oct-09 16:25:35

I don't know if anyone will be able to recommend theirs over other makes, as most people will only have tried one sort! (I used a Boots one by the way, it was fine but like I say, no way of comparing it to others).

I do have a tip for you though: if you are thinking of renting one, have a look first to see what price you can buy one for. I got mine almost half-price in a Boots offer, so it worked out only very slightly more expensive than renting, but a) I could keep it for pregnancy no. 2, so I don't need to pay again, b) I don't have to worry about when to get it and how long I can keep it for, and c) I can probably sell it on Ebay once we've definitely finished with it, and get some of the money back!

alana39 Tue 27-Oct-09 10:34:55

Also if you buy one and keep it they can be really useful for various orthopaedic injuries - when I needed physio on my knee years ago they used TENS, when I had back pain in between pregnancies TENS really helped, so if you are planning another pregnancy after this one and can get a good offer it's definitely worth considering.

ronshar Tue 27-Oct-09 10:41:05

They are wonderful. I have had two completely drug free births one of which was a home birth using a TENS. Not sure which make.

OWL13 No idea why they told you to use it everyday. Surely that defeats the object, if you get used to the sensation before you need it you will have to have the setting high too soon and it wont work for your whole labour!!

donnakebabnew Mon 27-Jun-11 06:23:03

I hired mine and it was fab. I used a company called babytens.net x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now