Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Your best conception tips please!

(19 Posts)
Gingerbics Fri 23-Oct-09 08:41:37

Really struggling to conceive number 2, 10months in now and I know I'm so lucky to already have one but its getting me down.
GP did bloods which were fine and going back to see her next month when she'll refer me to hospital. In the meantime any tried and tested methods are welcome, Thanks xxx

(Sorry if you're already doing this, don't want to teach you to suck eggs!) I found ovulation testing sticks worked brilliantly, just tested for a few days until I got a good strong line, then did the deed and lay with legs up for 30 min. Did the trick.

Also, first time round dp was taking korean ginseng "for energy" which boosted his libido!

Best of luck!

turtle23 Fri 23-Oct-09 08:52:22

Preseed. Has worked for 5 people I know(including me.).

Gingerbics Fri 23-Oct-09 09:11:01

Thanks so much to you both, have just ordered some Preseed, thats one thing I haven't tried!
Have been using Ovulation test strips for about 8months, funnily enough I'd used them the first time and did it when the sticks said yes and was successful the first month then s.o I do have some faith in them

FrenchmumOf3 Fri 23-Oct-09 13:33:47

Do you suffer from thrush regularly as this can make you much less fertile? I had bad thrush throughout my first pregnancy, then it took us two years to get pregnant second time, another year for the third time, and I've been doing the anti candida diet for 6 months now and have miraculously gotten pregnant straight away for the fourth time! Just a thought.

Walnut8 Fri 23-Oct-09 14:07:49

If you haven't already tried it, I would highly recommend a holiday (or dirty weekend away) around the time you are ovulating!!

mrsrvc Fri 23-Oct-09 14:28:35

Try the Sperm Meets Egg Plan.
You can google it for a more detailed version of the plan.
Its a bit clinical, but worked for me:
"Try" every other night starting Day 8
Buy 10 ovulation predictor kit sticks
Begin ovulation testing on Day 10
When test is positive, "try" that night, plus two additional nights in a row
Skip one night, then do one last "try"
Take a home pregnancy test 15 days after your ovulation test was positive, if your period has not begun
If your ovulation test never goes positive, continue "trying" every other night until Day 35, then do a pregnancy test if your period has not begun.
Statistics coming in from women who write me show that about 40% of post-miscarriage women will get pregnant on the first try if they are faithful to the plan, about double the number of the normal population who are not on the plan. This assumes, of course, that you waited for a normal cycle to begin after your loss, and did not begin trying before having a period after a miscarriage. Many women do not ovulate in that first cycle.

mrsrvc Fri 23-Oct-09 14:28:51

Take a home pregnancy test 15 days after your ovulation test was positive, if your period has not begun
If your ovulation test never goes positive, continue "trying" every other night until Day 35, then do a pregnancy test if your period has not begun.
Statistics coming in from women who write me show that about 40% of post-miscarriage women will get pregnant on the first try if they are faithful to the plan, about double the number of the normal population who are not on the plan. This assumes, of course, that you waited for a normal cycle to begin after your loss, and did not begin trying before having a period after a miscarriage. Many women do not ovulate in that first cycle.

mrsrvc Fri 23-Oct-09 14:29:31

mrsrvc Fri 23-Oct-09 14:31:20

Sorry, Computer playing up.. Not sure why it posted 3 times and I dont know how to delete the posts. Also realised that when I copied it I copied the but about miscarriage at the end by accident. Anyway, hope it helps.

QTPie Fri 23-Oct-09 16:00:35

Took us about 11 months to conceive (first baby), then early MC, then cycle off, then conceived straight away again (now just under 26 weeks pregnant). Just before I cnceived first time, we started fertility tests: my bloods were ok, but husband had low sperm count, mobility and morphology.

Was using ovulation kits from pretty early on (a couple of months are starting TTC).

What worked for us, in the end, BOTH times I conceived was:
- Doing it every day from just before I was due to ovulate - we did it 10 days in a row the 2nd time I conceived (poor, used, husk of a husband... wink ). I know this isn't recommended - they say every two days (to allow sperm to be replenished...) - but it worked for us...
- ensure that OH "finished" in missionary. I found that other positions tended to mean leakage...
- Then stay lying, with hips elevated and legs in the air for a GOOD 15+ minutes after husband finishes. Not easy for an impatient person, but it must help...

Hope that helps.
QT

blondieminx Fri 23-Oct-09 17:45:10

Ginger if your cycles are even slightly irregular get your GP to test both your thyroid and thyroid antibodies and compare the levels.

I was TTC for 10 months with no joy but my thyroid was found to be playing up - a couple of months on the thyroid tablets and I conceived but then had an early MC, we then concieved again 7 weeks after the MC and I'm currently 28 weeks! I did also drink grapefruit juice which I think did make a difference.

Best of luck to you

BellasYummyMummy Fri 23-Oct-09 17:49:22

My cycles were irregular due to PCOS so it took us 2 years and a mc to conceive our DD, but i found that once i relaxed we fell pregnant quickly, and with the help of the clearblue fertility monitor, fell pregnant second cycle i used it!
Second time round i tried reflexology to regulate my cycles, fell pregnant within 8 weeks, though mc again. However, 2 cycles later and again using the monitor we fell pregnant and are now 21weeks with number 2. good luck i think the key thing for me was to try not to stress over it, deffo didnt help in the bedroom department!!

AnxiousBump Sat 24-Oct-09 18:07:51

I know this might seem useless compared to other peoples suggestions, but i found with myself and all other friends whom have struggled to concieve this comes in handy.

Dont orgasm till after you partner has come inside of you, then lay with your hips tilted up so it sits inside you then get yourself or your partner to get you off, as when you orgasm your cervis 'dips' continuosly into the pool of semen inside you and helps it travel faster, then try to lay still for as long as comfortable.

sorry if TMI just my 2 cents so to speak, good luck

naomi83 Sun 25-Oct-09 18:13:43

We tried for over a year. Finally gave up, threw ovulation tests and prenatal vitamins in the bin and went for the doctor to be tested. BFP two weeks later! Doctor says it's very common because you stop stressing.

Gingerbics Mon 26-Oct-09 20:29:05

Wow thanks so much for all the tips and advice and for sharing your experiences, it's certainly given me some hope and good ideas! Many many thanks again x Will hopefully be on the pregnancy thread officially before tooooooo long x

bubblesincambridge Tue 27-Oct-09 13:52:29

Try the clearblue fertility monitor. I ordered it online (about 80 quid - bit cheaper than Boots) together with some test sticks. It measures your hormone levels when you pee on a stick and put it in the machine. So I think its a bit more accurate than simple pee sticks.

Anyway, first month of using, and bingo, now 29 weeks! I'll be using it again when I fancy another.

ASAPWW Tue 27-Oct-09 15:14:22

Hi I recommend using a Persona monitor (or just use the test sticks). They give you 2 blue lines when you are ovulating so tell you the best time to have sex. Had been trying for a couple of months with no success, first time I used Persona I got pregnant as it turned out I was ovulating about 5 days after I thought I was. It's actually a method of contraception but can be used for the reverse! And stay in bed for at least 20 mins after. wink

lazylion Tue 27-Oct-09 16:58:03

since no-one else has mentioned it - egg whites worked 4 times for me. whisk up and insert before sex, a bit slimy but effective. also baby asprin after ovulation to help implantation. typing while bf, sorry. good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now